2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2000 neon won't downshift

Old 03-31-2011, 02:38 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dan15801
I didn't use the type F for older cars. It was the newer type F fluid.The below fluid was used by mistake.
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7028170

The thing is also. Is that on a website from the auto care place I bought the fluid has type F as a substitute for the ATF +4 for the neon. And it was for the older ford transmissions. This is recomended for neons also. Valvoline TYPE F ATF also this fluid Valvoline Mercon V Both made for ford and can be used for neons says their website.
Newer Type F? Type F is type F; "newer" or not doesn't make it ATF+4. Type F is not a substitute for ATF+4 either. Dodge has always recommended ATF+_ for the Neon transmissions AFAIK, since ATF+_ has been in use by them since the late 80s, early 90s was it?

Just because a place sells a part or what have you, doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. Even dealers have this problem in the service department.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Moparkyle
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stick with the ATF +4.

And as far as evacuating that old fluid I wouldn't attempt to flush it, i would just run it and drop the pan a few times.

Like Darth said back flushing has the best chance of forcing contaminants that were all ready in the pan back into the transmission. But I wouldn't let it pump the oil out either, newer transmissions can be more temperamental with that sort of thing.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:35 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't pump it dry. I let it pump a couple of quarts at a time. Stopped and refilled and then repeated probably about 5 or 6 times.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Moparkyle
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah that wouldn't damage anything I would think. A lot of people just like to let themselves pump until nothing comes out anymore.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 neon won't downshift