2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Input/output sensor 05 neon

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 08:10 PM
jkeith85
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input/output sensor 05 neon

I have a 2005 Dodge neon SXT automatic. The speedometer was jumping around. The car would shift gears sometimes, but not always. I replaced the output sensor and it worked flawlessly for about 5-10 minutes. Then the speedometer started to do the same thing again. However, It would not shift out of 2nd (I assume it put itself into limp mode). The speedometer was jumpy. Now, it will not move.

So could it be:
1) The output sensor went out again
2) The input speed sensor is also bad and needs to be replaced
3) Other

Extra notes: P700 (looked into it further)
-> p0501 a range performance
-> brake switch a circuit high input
-> Cruise control I am assuming (not relevant to issue)

Last edited by jkeith85; 09-10-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:58 AM
22mopar22
Banned

input sensor has nothing to do with your problem

could be bad connection on output speed sensor connector.

I would be using a quality scanner and enter transmission Data info to actually diagnose the problem

Old 09-11-2011, 02:40 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 22mopar22
I would be using a quality scanner and enter transmission Data info to actually diagnose the problem
That's nice that you would do that, but how many people do you think have said expensive piece of equipment accessible, and know how to do what you are telling them to? While the "perfect" method in theory, hardly practical or possible for 99.9% of the population.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:48 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

P0501-VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR #1 PERFORMANCE (AUTO TRANS)
When Monitored: Engine running. Transmission not in park or neutral. Brakes not applied. Engine run time greater than 10 seconds.
Set Condition: The PCM does not see vehicle speed signal from the transmission control side of the PCM. Two Trip Fault.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
GOOD TRIP EQUAL TO ZERO
TRANSMISSION DTC(S)
PCM

There is also this page: P0501

P0573-BRAKE SWITCH #1 CIRCUIT HIGH
When Monitored: Ignition on.
Set Condition: When the PCM recognizes Brake Switch is stuck in the high/off position. One Trip Fault.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
GOOD TRIP EQUAL TO ZERO
BRAKE LAMP SWITCH OPERATION
BRAKE SWITCH SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
PCM

However, since you messed with the sensor and it worked, first try checking the connector to make sure the wires are in there good, and then follow the wires as far as you can and make sure they aren't broken or grounded out. It's free and worst case, you are in the same boat you are now.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:19 PM
ukra-alex

Hi, I actually had that same freaking problem two weeks ago. I changed both of the sensors but it didn't fix the problem. Also, after changing the sensors, my car didn't want to start. So, I just checked all the wires going from the transmission module and sensors to the main computer with an electrical tester, and I found that one of the wires from the output speed sensor was broken inside the rubber, and I couldn't see it from outside, so I just cut the part that was broken inside and replaced with another wire. Now my car is running like NEW! well, you can try to do it.

Quick Reply: Input/output sensor 05 neon