2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Car wont go into gear

Old 09-13-2011, 04:02 PM
comptonfin3st
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont go into gear

on friday night i stop for a burger at in n out when i come out my shift lever in my car would not go in to any gear it would just move around. i check under the hood and see that a shift link cable had came lose from the tranny since i couldnt leave the car there over night i put in 3 or 4th gear with my hand i would stop at stoplight n would have to ride the clutch till it would engage smoothly i could smell in burning. i got it home and the next day i woke up fix the shift link that had came loose from the tranny n now the shift lever goes in to all the gears but when i start the car i push the clutch pedal down move the lever into gear n let go of the pedal n it doesnt do anything but just rev up also i put it in gear while the car is off and the car rolls if someone pushes it could it be the clutch or something wrong with the shift cables?

Old 09-13-2011, 05:28 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You probably f'ed your clutch. Heard of a tow truck? Trying to save $50 on a tow, you probably now have a few hundred dollar repair on your hands. It's either your clutch, or your shifter cable isn't fixed correctly (sounds like you probably need new bushings...did you buy 'em?).

Old 09-18-2011, 02:58 PM
ericemery
Retired Administrator
Hall of Fame Member

Lol, thats a great way to get banned right there.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:54 PM
chew*
Professional

Originally Posted by darthroush
You probably f'ed your clutch. Heard of a tow truck? Trying to save $50 on a tow, you probably now have a few hundred dollar repair on your hands. It's either your clutch, or your shifter cable isn't fixed correctly (sounds like you probably need new bushings...did you buy 'em?).

I think even with the bushings missing the car will still shift but man does it have a long throw. I bought one that apparently some hacker tossed a clutch in and those were missing among other "spare parts" commonly tossed out by backyard mechanics...........

I'd agree the clutch is burnt if he got a bad smell, without the smell i'd blame throw out bearing or master/actuator for clutch.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:32 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ericemery
Lol, thats a great way to get banned right there.
No one gets it now, lol! The post is gone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car wont go into gear