2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Code 21 and Code 22 Help...

Old 02-13-2012, 09:23 PM
tsjocool
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Code 21 and Code 22 Help...

I have a 2000 Dodge Neon SE. Have taken really good care of it and is up-to-date on maintenance. Only has 57,000 miles on it and the body is in great condition. Never been in an accident. Recently, the ABS light, Brake light and Trac light have all come on (all came on at the same time). The lights come on when I start the car and remain on when the car is running. Periodically and out of the blue I'll hear a "chime" sound which I assume is associated with these lights being on.

I went in last week to have a mechanic (Tires Plus) figure out why the lights were on and repair it if possible. Last week, they thought the brake sensor and ABS sensor needed to be replaced. However, before ordering the parts they decided to do a computer diagnostic on it and came up with a Code 21 (Valve power Feed Circuit) and Code 22 (Cab Internal Failure). These codes did not come up before so they were reluctant to order the sensors for fear it could be something entirely different.

They reset the computer and the lights went off. However, when they drove it out of the garage the lights came back on. After hooking it back up to the computer again it listed Code 21 and Code 22. Their computer systems didn't provide input as to what this meant or how to fix it so they suggested I go to a Dodge dealership to have it looked it.

Any ideas what these two codes mean? And what I'd be looking at if I were to bring it to a dealership? I've searched online for what these two codes could possibly mean but aren't having any luck....

Thanks - Tammy

Old 02-14-2012, 04:06 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Those codes are like OBDI codes. I'm not sure what the OBDII equivalents are (or how they came up with those), which is what your car has. You can turn your key from the off position to the on position, 3 times in rapid succession, ending in the on position and the codes will be displayed in the odometer area as long as they aren't transmission codes.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:41 AM
bjr1a
Professional

DTC 21 I think means O2 sensor problem and 22 means coolant sensor problem...i do agree 2 sensors failing at the same time although possible is not likely.....first thing i would do is make sure engine is going to full temperature.....

Old 02-14-2012, 12:15 PM
tsjocool
Lightbulb More info about the car...

The mechanic hooked up a small handheld thing to the cable connector located under the steering wheel area (near the brake pedal under the dash). He had the car turned off and turned on when looking at the codes that appeared on his computer.

When the codes came up - Code 21 and Code 22 - each had a description of what the code was (Code 21 - Valve power feed circuit; Code 22 - Cab Internal Failure).

I was told by the mechanic that they way these codes appeared on his computer screen is that Code 21 came up due to Code 22 and if Code 22 were fixed then Code 21 should disappear.

I had new brakes and rotors installed AFTER these codes appeared and therefore know my brakes are in good condition. I never used the Trac button (unless I accidentally hit it and noticed the light come on). I periodically use my emergency brake (and the Brake light) will come on when that is used. However, the emergency brake is working properly. The car is running at the right temperature, oil was just changed and there are no leaks anywhere.

The mechanic did tell me that when the car is started, the ABS works for a moment but then something malfunctions (hence the code), the ABS light comes on and then the ABS is shut off by the car's computer system... so right now the ABS braking system doesn't/won't work.

Tammy

Old 02-15-2012, 05:04 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

I recently put on a new spindle and it had the trac wiring attached as well, unsure of the year model because the junk yard car was really tore up bad but the front spindles were in A+ shape, as I removed the wire/sensor it was full of gunk/water/sludgey stuff, and the wire looked as if it had gotten hot at one time as the plastic was brittle. Maybe they come with it i dunno just something I saw during R&R out in the snow last weekend you might check on yours.. just my 0.02

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Code 21 and Code 22 Help...