2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Intermitent transmission shifting problem (p0700)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 06:05 AM
Marc Edwards
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermitent transmission shifting problem (p0700)

To start off, it's a 2005 Dodge Neon SXT automatic. It's my wife's car she had when we met, and now I've inherited the "fixing"

About six months ago, the transmission just flat crapped out. It had been shuddering really bad when shifting between 2/3 and eventually... Wouldn't move.

I purchased a used transmission from a reputable wreck yard with 42k on it, and it had the TCM and other components still on the trans.

I replaced the transmission myself, and we have been driving it with no issues until just about a week ago. We probably put about 10k on the new/used trans.

The new issue is, when you get in to drive it, it will drive very smooth, no signs of any issues at all. Shifts, and accelerates as it should..

You can park it, get out and get back in it later and when pulling away feel it slightly jerking. Nothing real noticeable.. The. It's stuck in second gear, if you coast foot off the brake and in gear it will accelerate to about 35-38 mph, hold and drop a few mph.. And hold in that range. When you slow down at a stop sign you have to apply more pressure than normal to get RPM's to drop...

After driving it a few miles like this, you can get the CEL to come on. I tested it with an OBDII scanner and pulled 0700. An obvious TCM code that requires further scanning.

Being an optimist, I unplugged battery for about 20 minutes and let it sit. I got back in the car, voila drove smooth as silk. We drove the car about 70 miles worth without a hiccup. ( several stops and starts, cooldowns and warmups, multiple destinations )

Today when driving the car, the problem resurfaced. The car pulls from curb and u can tell almost right away that your facing the same dilemma.. So, rinse repeat? Unplug battery.. Sit.. And try again. This time When rehooking up the battery, and driving the problem remained. I drove the car about a mile.. and while driving it immediately shifted and acted like it had no problems.... I swear the car IS a female!!

So, it's outside sitting... And I'll be driving it again in a few hours (4) and its in the air on how it will respond/perform....

Any ideas?

I have read tons and tons and tons of posts on here.. But nothing quite like this..

Last edited by Marc Edwards; 05-19-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:11 AM
Marc Edwards
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh :$ car is almost paid off, she bought it new ... Considering selling it and washing my hands of it

Quick Reply: Intermitent transmission shifting problem (p0700)