2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

K&N Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:27 PM
fhadso
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Filter?

I'm thinking of replacing my CAI filter with a K&N filter. Are the K&Ns actually better than anything else? Or am I just paying for the name?

Old 06-27-2012, 11:44 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who makes the CAI you have now?

There are some generic inferior products out there but pretty much all the oiled filters run the same.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:54 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nowadays, you are paying for the name. However, you pay for any big-brand name. I've got one of those Spectre hpR filters. The Spectre filters are actually pretty good- they seem to perform the same as a K&N based on the tests.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

K&N filters are only good with a LIGHT coat of oil, and if they are cleaned often. (Which no one does).

Old 06-29-2012, 08:49 AM
SXTspeed
Veteran

I didn't have the Neon after the K&N CAI long enough to clean it.
I've had a K&N panel on my Taurus since April of 2009 and haven't cleaned/oiled it properly. I took it out once and beat some dirt out of it and slid it back in. Gas mileage hasn't really been affected, averages 24-26mpg with a pretty big V6. I don't really regret buying it since I haven't cleaned it how it's supposed to be cleaned but if I did I probably would regret it. It's more of a hassle than anything else. I'm sure the conical K&N filter flow better than their paper counterparts from design, but panel filters I don't think flow any better than paper. I thought about getting a K&N on my V8 Firebird but researched it first and found that it was a waste. In that case paper is just as efficient. People with K&N's said they saw no noticeable increase in flow over a paper filter (for a traditional induction setup, i.e. not including ram air)
I would consider swapping to a ram air set up in my car with the Volant system because it looks freaking cool (see attachment) but it's $300.

Attached Thumbnails K&N Filter?-cimg1601.jpg  

Quick Reply: K&N Filter?