2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

where is the timing belt located on a 2004 dodge neon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 05:13 PM
liveyourlife304
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation where is the timing belt located on a 2004 dodge neon?

i think its time for a timing belt change. i took my car to 2 different mechanics . the first mechanic told me that i need a new timing belt because he could hear it "slapping" against something and would charge $300 to replace the timing belt and the water pump. to get another mechanics opinion, i took it to my cousins fiance which works at a local dodge dealer garage so that he could take a look at it. he first told me that my car DID NOT have a timing belt and that the only belts on my car are a serpentine belt, power steering belt and my fan belt. we popped the hood, turned the car on for a little bit to let it run. we turned it off after it ran for about 5 mins. he looked at all the belts closely and he pointed out that the belt connected to the alternator had cracks in it and referred it as the serpentine belt, not the timing belt. he said that thats the only belt that mechanic #1 could have been talking about when he told me that my timing belt needs changed. i need ANY advice possible ASAP. this is my only form of transportation for work. thanks everyone!

Old 07-07-2012, 06:17 PM
jw11432
Rookie

like all other neons, it does in fact have a timing belt. there are two variations that keep a car's camshaft in time with the crankshaft; via belt or chain. almost all newer cars use timing belts. you will only find timing chains still used on trucks and SUV's, and maybe some higher performance car engines.

the timing belt is located at the front of the engine (facing passenger side fender) underneath the black plastic cover. it's quite a job, and while not impossible, or even difficult, per se, it will require time. whether its a SOHC or DOHC, it's very close in how the job is performed. this pic should help you locate it. http://blog.modernperformance.com/pc...conversion.JPG
the timing belt will 'thread' over the top two gears (cam gears, this is a DOHC) around the water pump (bottom right gear), and crankshaft (very bottom, gear is missing in this pic). if there is in fact any 'slapping' in that area, it would be the timing belt tensioner (component in middle with the 4 silver 'arms' that is wearing, and would cause looseness in the belt.

let me know if you have anymore questions.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Moparkyle
All Star

Originally Posted by jw11432
like all other neons, it does in fact have a timing belt. there are two variations that keep a car's camshaft in time with the crankshaft; via belt or chain. almost all newer cars use timing belts. you will only find timing chains still used on trucks and SUV's, and maybe some higher performance car engines.

the timing belt is located at the front of the engine (facing passenger side fender) underneath the black plastic cover. it's quite a job, and while not impossible, or even difficult, per se, it will require time. whether its a SOHC or DOHC, it's very close in how the job is performed. this pic should help you locate it. http://blog.modernperformance.com/pc...conversion.JPG
the timing belt will 'thread' over the top two gears (cam gears, this is a DOHC) around the water pump (bottom right gear), and crankshaft (very bottom, gear is missing in this pic). if there is in fact any 'slapping' in that area, it would be the timing belt tensioner (component in middle with the 4 silver 'arms' that is wearing, and would cause looseness in the belt.

let me know if you have anymore questions.

I think he has it pretty well covered.

Quick Reply: where is the timing belt located on a 2004 dodge neon?