2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

FIXED: Engine Problems/Throttle Body

Old 03-01-2006, 02:40 AM
BDM
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FIXED: Engine Problems/Throttle Body

On the 24th or so I described to you that I was having eninge problems. I thought the cause of it was because I had clamped the fuel line. I took the clamp off and the next day the engine light turned off so I thought the problem was fixed. But today it happened again! Turns out that was never the problem in the first place evidently. Today I'm cruising down the highway at about 70-75 and my engine light turns on. Seconds later my engine sputters yet again. So I let off the gas and got off at the next exit.

I don't know what the hell is going on and it's really upsetting me. Both times happened after I installed the 60mm throttle body (23rd). Is that causing the problem? Both days that this happened I drove the car pretty hard during the day. Left the car alone for an hour or two, then got on the highway to drive back home (20 mile drive), and at about 10 miles down the highway it starts to happen.

All I can is,
1. Both times happened after I installed the 60mm Throttle Body
2. Both times happened after a day of hard driving
3. They happened 4 days apart

Is it somekind of cooling problem? The day after the light turns off and everything is fine. To me that sounds like some kind of cooling problem. Time for new Anti-freeze? Too much air flow now that I have a bigger throttle body? It could e something totaly different for all I know. I donno I don't have a clue, I'm just now learning a bit about cars. PLEASE help me! What should I do? Go to mechanic? Dodge? Agian, please help me.

Thank You SO much.

Brian

Old 03-01-2006, 04:25 AM
BDM
Veteran
Default RE: HELP: Engine Problems

One thing I just realized:

Both times where on a highway, and only the highway. The only two times I went on the highway since my throttle body install was when I was having this problem. Could there be some problem at driving at high speeds for a long time causing the problem?

Old 03-01-2006, 02:23 PM
BDM
Veteran

I called Modern Performance this morning and they said that they never had anyone have that problem. He said that it sounded like a vacuum leak? I donno, I'm going to a mechanic after school today, I'll tell you guys what happens.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:17 AM
BDM
Veteran

Went to the mechanic but there were max capacity. Made an appointment for tomorrow. I drove back home on the highway and nothing happened this time. I didn't punch it at all though. Do you guys think all this is because I was just driving hard? My Automatic transmission overheating maybe?

BTW - my temp gauge has always been reading normal

Old 03-05-2006, 02:17 AM
BDM
Veteran

I went the mechanic and he showed me that I forgot to install the stock throttle body gasket. I installed and I thought the problem would be fixed. But the problem is still not fixed and I still don't know what the hell is going on. Today I was on the highway again and the exact same thing. Engine light followed by engine shuttering. I recently learned how to display the engine code and it reads P0068. I checked the lists on this forum but that number is not listed. PLEASE HELP ME! []

Old 03-05-2006, 02:27 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Thats odd that you're having problems at high speeds. Any time my car has even though of running like crap it has been from a stop under light acceleration and that has not happened often. Are you sure its throwing a P0068 code? I checked my list and I didn't find it on there as well. One way you could figure out if its the new TB would be to put the stock one back and see if it still happens. I know that might be a pain in the ****, but you'd know if it was causing the problem or if its something else that just happened to coincide with you installing a TB. I doubt its because you were driving it hard...my car seems to like being driven hard then it does being driven like a grandma. You could always let me borrow it for awhile....LOL. How are your spark plugs/wires?

Old 03-05-2006, 02:59 AM
BDM
Veteran

Dude I'm getting really worried and annoyed now. [>:]

Yeah man I'm sure its a P0068 code. I just don't understand...I'm positive it's installed correctly. Modern Performance told me that no one else ever had this problem. F*ck. The ignition coil and wires are stock (22k miles)

[&:]

btw - when the engine light came on this time I played with it a little and after the shuttering I steped on the gas to see what It would do and it wouldn't accelerate. I could only keep a constant speed and decelerate. It wouldn't go faster once the light came on. (~75) At the time of coarse. Tomorrow the light will be off and it will seem like nothing ever happened. It only happens after driving for 15 miles at high speeds. what the f*ck

Brian

[edit/]
I searched google and found this:
2003-2004 SX/SRT-4
P0068-MANIFOLD PRESSURE/THROTTLE POSITION CORRELATION

Old 03-05-2006, 03:39 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Is there anything wrong with your throttle position sensor (TPS)? Thats the sensor that mounts on the side of the throttle body. The TPS is a variable resistor that provides the PCM with an input signal (voltage). The signal represents throttle blade position. As the position of the throttle blade changes, the resistance of the TPS changes. The PCM supplies approximately 5 volts to the TPS. THe TPS output voltage (input signal to the powertrain control module) represents throttle blade position. The TPS output voltage to the PCM varies from approximately 0.6 volt at minimum throttle opening (idle) to a maximum of 4.5 volts at wide open throttle. Along with inputs from other sensors, the PCM uses the TPS input to determine current engine operating conditions. The PCM also adjusts fuel injector pulse width and ignition timing based on these inputs. Thats from my FSM on the TPS. Another thing to check is the vacuum line in addition to the throttle cable to make sure it was hooked up correctly. I assume since it works fine at lower speeds that those are fine. Maybe your TPS is going haywire?

Old 03-05-2006, 04:00 AM
BDM
Veteran

I wrote Modern Performance a letter. They probably wont write me back until Monday or Tue. I'm going back to the mechanic I went to after school on Monday. Maybe MP will tell me to send it back...if not I can try Dodge. If no one can fix it I'll have to throw on the stock TB. And for all I know that might not fix the problem.

I donno man. I just have the stock TPS. I've never had any problems with it before, and I know your supposed to just use the stock TPS with the new throttle body.

Old 03-05-2006, 04:19 AM
BDM
Veteran

Bro check this page out:
http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache...s&ct=clnk&cd=1

this could be my problem. There are talking about adjusting the idle. It has a little adjustment screw on top and I didn't have a clue with what to do to it. I currently have my car idling a little below 1000 RPMS. They said if you dont have it right it could throw that code at you...I'll keep searching for stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FIXED: Engine Problems/Throttle Body