2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Fluid leak at solenoid pack , please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 AM
warlock3055
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid leak at solenoid pack , please help!!!

hey there, i am having a leak issue, i have a 2002 neon that is leaking at the solenoid pack. i replaced the gasket a week ago and drove it, was fine for a few day, then yesterday its leaking alot same place? why would this keep happening? and everytime i take that pack off do i have to go to the trans shop and have it hooked up to his hand held programmer? i noticed last time it shifted bad when upshifting, took it over to the shop he said it had to be set since i had it off? after he did that it shifted great. a day later its leaking? i put a new gasket on it but kept the pack, i thought if its shifting fine why then? what do you all think i should do? i thought maybe to put two gaskets under? the trans is a rebuilt from two years ago, so not many miles on it.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:55 AM
cheapez
Veteran

Maybe you did not bolt it in tight enough, or the metal plate surface is not flat. Trans fluid could also leak out from the orange/red connector if the seal is bad.

I bought a new Borg Warner solenoid pack for this trans. It is included with a gasket but they say I can just bolt it into the metal plate without the gasket. This will seal better.

I think Borg Warner solenoid pack, and Mopar solenoid pack is the same.

They say you don't need to relearn the TCM when you change the solenoid pack as it does not change the pressure volume. Only when you replace the valve body, and clutches, ...
I took the solenoid pack out to clean it, and now I replaced it with a new solenoid pack. I did not have to relearn the TCM. It shifts fine, only it did not fix the problem I had with my trans.

If you say your hard shifting problem is fixed by relearned the trans then I think I should relearn my trans. Hopefully, I will get the result.

Last edited by cheapez; 02-03-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:25 AM
cheapez
Veteran

How much the shop charged you for a quick relearn?

Last edited by cheapez; 02-03-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:35 AM
warlock3055

the shop did it for free for me,he said it was just a 2 min thing, and it was, and it did shift good afterwards. im going to check to see if its tight enough, so did you put it on with out the gasket? did it work? when i took off the old gasket it didnt have any breaks in it like it blew out? but it is comming from the trans meets where the pack sits on it. and it comes out good when running, thanks for your responds!

Old 11-25-2012, 11:36 AM
cheapez
Veteran

My bad. They say not to use the steal spacer plate.
Here is the description:
(NOTE DO NOT USE THE STEEL SPACER PLATE WHEN INSTALLING THIS SOLENOID) This A604 41TE transmission solenoid replaces all early design solenoids. The steel spacer plate is not required with this updated design, install the gasket between the solenoid and transmission case.
Some people called it Borg Warner solenoid pack, other people called it Mopar solenoid pack. I guess they are the same solenoid. Both looked very similar when I replaced mine yesterday.

I installed it with the gasket, and the steel spacer plate. I haven't checked again to see if fluid is leaking out.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:45 AM
cheapez
Veteran

I remember now. They recommend not to use the steel spacer plate is because trans fluid could leak out from there.

The steel spacer plate is known to cause trans fluid leak out.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:51 AM
cheapez
Veteran

Your car only shifted hard after you took the solenoid pack out? or it shifted like that before, and you fixed the problem by reset/relearned the trans?

I took my solenoid pack out to clean it/disassembled it. Installed it back in without the quick relearn. It shifted the same way. Nothing changed.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:18 PM
warlock3055

ok, i checked the tightness in bolts. they are very tight, then i wiped it clean again, in it looks to be coming from the front of the part? the black front cover? has anyone had that to leak?

Old 11-25-2012, 12:21 PM
warlock3055

it shifted hard after in re installed the valve but with a new gasket. it shfted like it didnt want to come out of over drive. but after he reset the computer it shifted perfect.

Quick Reply: Fluid leak at solenoid pack , please help!!!