2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Looking to up my horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Je_fthr1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to up my horsepower

I have a 04 dodge neon sxt 5 speed has straight piping with magnaflow exhaust that's how I got the car what can I do to get a little more hp I read a throttle body from an automatic,headers,cams,etc i wanna start from the simple to the big stuff any info or people out there that have modify there sxt with pointer???

Old 04-24-2013, 02:20 PM
Ryan 20
Amateur

If you haven't already, I would start with a full tune up.

Iridium spark plugs, 8mm spark plug wires, fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank, new air filter, you could even remove the A/C compressor, unless you really want, and need it.

Also oil change Castrol GTX 10W40 is what I use, especially if you live in a hot climate and or run it hard.

I think your kind of limited on a cam swap because of the NGC Powertrain control module.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:56 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If an oil change were to free up horsepower, it would be a slicker oil in the proper weight; not a thicker oil. Much thicker oil than necessary (like 10W40 vs. the recommended 5W20) is only going to make the engine and oil pump work harder to spin and pump the oil, causing a decrease in HP and MPG if anything. Regardless, no thicker, thinner or slicker oil in a Dodge Neon engine is going to free up any sort of HP.

A properly tuned up engine and vehicle will be your best start. Unfortunately, bolt-on mods on 03-05 Neons aren't as useful on 00-02s as the computer negates the effect a very good degree. All of the "simple" stuff won't do much of anything for horsepower on any 2.0L Neon engine, especially with the NGC system. Cams and porting would be your best bet, but you might start tripping the CEL with a cam. Next up would be turbo with a complete engine management system replacement and tune.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Ryan 20
Amateur

I think it depends on the amount of wear / miles is already on the engine.

Because the little bit thicker oil can seal the rings better, and reduces oil consumption / burning.

If your engine has very little wear and low miles than you could be better off with the thinner oil.

You could always try it, and, if your power / performance and fuel mileage go down then switch back to the thinner oil.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:29 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

take all the extra weight out will help some off the line hump, esp if you carry a set of tools & a speaker box with 2-18's & a couple amps

Old 04-25-2013, 05:54 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Ryan 20
I think it depends on the amount of wear / miles is already on the engine.

Because the little bit thicker oil can seal the rings better, and reduces oil consumption / burning.

If your engine has very little wear and low miles than you could be better off with the thinner oil.

You could always try it, and, if your power / performance and fuel mileage go down then switch back to the thinner oil.
I agree, but 10W40 vs 5W20 is much, much more than a little bit thicker. If an engine is calling for 5W20 new, I'd be putting in 10W30 at the very most. Beyond that, the engine needs to be physically repaired if you are having lubrication or excessive oil consumption issues.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:20 AM
Je_fthr1

Another question can you polish the aluminum rims the neon has

Old 05-11-2013, 04:06 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Not as they sit from the factory, no. Factory wheels are almost always coated to maintain the finish. You'd have to strip the finish and then polish.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Robert72380

How about that performance module made by DVMotorsports? I had thought about adding it to my neon but havent found alot about it.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:03 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

No chips/modules do anything on the Neon. If you are lucky and it actually does something, you might get 1HP.

Quick Reply: Looking to up my horsepower