2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Random Clunking?

Old 08-01-2013, 03:37 AM
fhadso
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Clunking?

So, I'll be sitting at a light or going below 25MPH, and I will feel a random clunk in the brake and gas pedal, as well as hear it coming from the engine bay. I do not feel it in the clutch whatsoever (granted, it /is/ a hydrolic clutch so maybe I wouldn't feel it).

What could it possibly be? I wouldn't think it has anything to do with the suspension because it happens while I'm not moving or while I'm going slow, but maybe it has something to do with my calipers? But then I wouldn't feel it in the gas pedal, granted that the gas and brake pedal are two separate assemblies and are not connected in any way shape or form.

It doesn't happen that often, maybe once an hour. But it is getting more frequent.

Thoughts?

Old 08-05-2013, 04:04 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

motor mounts in good shape?

Old 08-05-2013, 05:03 PM
fhadso
Veteran

Should be. This car is practically brand new. As a side note, it overheated yesterday out of nowhere for no reason. I started it up and it went almost to red, then the fan kicked on and brought it down to halfway and stayed there and refused to go down. I'm thinking thermostat? Would these two issues be somehow related?

Old 08-07-2013, 03:32 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

no not related that I can think of, but if it got hot it wouldn't hurt to check the fluid & then stat since the hot days are here. clunkin is prob in the rubbers of the suspension when you apply power the worn rubber get's torqued so to speak

Old 08-08-2013, 05:32 PM
fhadso
Veteran

Back in January when the midwest was riddled with blizzards, I slammed my car into a curb and bent the inner and outer tie rod end on the right side. When the mechanic looked at it, he also noted that my cradle bushing was worn, and even showed me.

Honestly, I don't know a whole lot about suspension, but I did see that it was torn and a little rough looking. Could this cause this random clunking? It happens throughout vehicle speed and engine speed, but it most noticeable when I have my foot on the brake, and when I'm coming to a stop, or shortly after. Any ideas?

Old 08-08-2013, 07:54 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

yea it doesn't take much but one good hard hit like that an can bed the control arm, was he referring to the control arm bushing? It's a pretty cheap fix you can get the whole arm for about 50 bucks new with new bushings, bolts right in about an hours worth of wrenching

Old 08-09-2013, 12:54 AM
fhadso
Veteran

Maybe it was the control arm bushing. But if I remember right, it was on the cradle itself. It was on the opposite side of the impact, so I wouldn't think that's what caused it. It was on the drivers side. But then again I wouldn't know the difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Random Clunking?