2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Neon idling extremely rough, Mechanic is clueless...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 02:30 PM
MandySXT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neon idling extremely rough, Mechanic is clueless...

Well, I'm back again! My Neon has just been a walk in the park if you can't tell Luckily I've found a great local mechanic that does it on the side who also happens to be a family friend and has helped me out tremendously.

After getting some great advice here I ended up getting all of my front end work done... sway bar links, lower control arms, and all new motor mounts since mine were totally shot.

My car was running great but it was idling rough. We called the mechanic and he said that it might be my spark plugs or something along those lines and I just didn't know since my motor was so loose before I got new mounts.

So most recently we took my car in to him hoping to fix the rough idling... a tune-up and fixing my rear strut later, my car is running amazing but STILL idling rough.

He and the other guys at their little shop said they are totally mind-blown and have no idea what it could be after looking at it, hooking it up to diagnostic machines, etc. He said it's common for 4 cylinders to idle rough... but this is NOT normal.

My entire dash, steering wheel, everything shakes the second I stop or park and stops the second I accelerate.

Any advice? I'm about to rip my hair out because my car is now running so great but the idling is just obnoxious.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:08 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No CEL? dirty TB or IAC. pull the throttle body and clean it and idle air control valve. Disconnect the batt. before you do any work. That gives the PCM a chance to reboot and relearn

Old 08-17-2013, 04:23 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what rpm is it idling at currently? no cel codes etc? no oil leaking into sparkplug tubes? definately reclean the tb & iac I think somewhere you can test the iac but been so long I cant find a post on it

mine idles pretty low as well but a tap of the throttle or turn the steering wheel right & left it idles up

Quick Reply: Neon idling extremely rough, Mechanic is clueless...