2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Oil Pressue Light/Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 08:24 PM
DodgeNeon2001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressue Light/Rough Idle

I have a 2001 base model Neon. I just replaced the Oil Pressure Switch, as I was getting the oil pressure light to come on frequently. After replacing the oil pressure switch it seemed to decrease the amount the light comes on, but it still comes on when I come to a stop. If i reve the engine a little the light goes off and stays off. As I come to a stop the car seems ok for a second, then it starts to get a rough idle, and the oil light comes on. Rev the engine and it goes off until the next stop.

I'm wanting to know what my next step should be as I am not sure what the issue is. Is it the oil pump?

Old 08-27-2013, 12:30 PM
richards83
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

More likely to be worn bearings than an oil pump. But, it could be as simple as idle speed low. Do you have a tach? Any idea what your idle RPM is? How many miles on the engine?

Old 08-28-2013, 03:01 PM
SlowGTO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently purchased a 05 sxt and did the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and thermostat (oil/coolant as well). Car runs great besides the same issue you are having, oil light comes on at stops, if you hit the gas even a tiny bit it will go away. haven't replaced my oil pressure sensor yet, but will be this weekend. Hopefully it solves my problem, I don't want to deal with tearing it back apart to put a new oil pump in it.

It does seem to idle a TAD lower than normal when it does this. Weird thing is the car never does it until after you've been driving it for like 10 minutes.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressue Light/Rough Idle