2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

timing issue help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 11:01 AM
wvtrader304
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing issue help please

00 dodge neon sohc 2.0 car someone broke the plastic cover with the top timing mark now without that cover how do I time the cam on this car?also whats the easiest way to make sure im tdc?please someone help me asap

Old 08-27-2013, 12:04 PM
richards83
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The timing mark on the camshaft sprocket is at exactly 12 o'clock, so basically aligned with the centerline of the camshaft. Probably a good idea to remove the valve cover if you haven't already and make sure all the valves on cyl1 are closed when the mark is lined up. When the timing mark on the crank sprocket is lined up with the mark on the oil pump housing you're at TDC. Here are the steps from the manual.
  1. Set the crankshaft sprocket to Top Dead Center (TDC) by aligning the notch on the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing, then back off the sprocket three notches before TDC.
  2. Set the camshaft to align the timing marks.
  3. Move the crankshaft to 1/2 notch before TDC.
  4. Install the timing belt starting at the crankshaft, around the water pump, then around the camshaft last.
  5. Move the crankshaft to TDC to take up the belt slack.
  6. Reinstall the tensioner to the block but do not tighten it.
  7. Using a torque wrench apply 250 inch lbs. (28 Nm) of torque to the tensioner pulley.
  8. With torque being applied to the tensioner pulley, move the tensioner up against the tensioner bracket and tighten the fasteners to 275 inch lbs. (31 Nm).
  9. Remove the tensioner plunger pin, the tension is correct when the plunger pin can be removed and replaced easily.
  10. Rotate the crankshaft two revolutions and recheck the timing marks.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:53 PM
wvtrader304
Default timing issue

thank you.......... got another question?i had to have valve job done to the head machine shop took the top piece off the head with the lifters in it alrite so wheni go put it back together do I tighten them down before timeing it r after timing it or how I do that?also my neon is a 00 model car what model neons motor wise and motor parts wise will interchange with mine?

Old 08-28-2013, 11:14 AM
richards83
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume you're talking about the rocker shaft. I would definately tighten that down after the timing belt is on and you verify the marks line up. That will guarantee the valves can't contact the pistons in case it's not timed right. The 2.0 SOHC Neon engines were basically the same from 00-05, but there are some minor differences. The timing belt tensioner is one that comes to mind and those can be different on the same model year. Just depends on which parts you're talking about.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:28 AM
wvtrader304

yes the rocker shaft and that's what I thought.........thank you so much

Quick Reply: timing issue help please