Car Smokes and Is difficult to start uphill

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 07:56 PM
fhadso
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Smokes and Is difficult to start uphill

05, 2.0, mtx.

I was parked on an incline and when I went to start it, it acted like the battery was dead (clicking) and then started after a few seconds, and the I noticed smoke coming out of my engine bay.

I also noticed that when I drive it cold, I hear a loud tapping (the same sound when you don't give it enough gas when you shift) when a load is placed under it, and then when it warms up it goes away. I've never had this issue or heard of it.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:26 AM
fhadso
Veteran

I figured the electrical issue. I had a 20A fuse in my HID system instead of a 30A. I"m lucky I didn't fry anything.

But I do still have a noticeable ticking sound at random times when I put a load on my engine. It's always when it's in gear, and it sounds like it's coming from my crank, but I don't know. I can't pinpoint it but it's doing it regardless of if it's warm or not.

I have the right amount of oil, and it doesn't smell burnt or anything, it looks fine. I am due for an oil change though. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe something to do with oil pressure. Maybe there is a slight drop in pressure when a load is placed on the engine? Big enough to hear, but not big enough to throw the dummy light?

Old 09-06-2013, 11:22 PM
frankarnone70
Rookie

Im not sure what the problem is, but I do know that you should get higher oil pressure the more rpms that are applied. also you get oil pressure from your bearings. not the oil pump. You get oil sucking/volume from the pump.

Heres a scenario for ya. ona hill if your gas level is low. your pump is mounted in the middle of your fuel cell. Your fuel pump cant "suck" fuel if its not in the fuel. I donno....just tring to help.

Does it have good horse power still??

Old 09-07-2013, 01:04 AM
fhadso
Veteran

I think I might have fixed the issue, although I'm not sure why and how.

A few months back I adjusted my idle screw so I could have a better tip-in response. Over time, I guess it really messed stuff up with my timing advance. Don't know why or how, like I said. I adjusted it back to what I thought was normal yesterday, and my idle was somewhere around 1750 out of gear, and about 1000 sitting at zero.

So today I reset the PCM, and adjusted it way down, and thus far it's acting like maybe it's a little low, but much better than idling at 1750, and it runs a lot smoother. My throttle response maybe isn't as good, but it's definitely running a lot better.

It's definitely not ticking like it was before, just now it runs a little harder with the A/C on, but I can live with that.

All while this was going on, I had plenty of power still.

So assuming that I fixed it, let this be a lesson to all: Don't !@#$ with the idle screw.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:43 PM
frankarnone70
Rookie

lol on the idle screw. I know, right. Glad to hear shes running good again!!

Old 09-08-2013, 04:04 AM
fhadso
Veteran

I correct myself. She is still ticking/pinging. But she does run smoother. Still don't know what it is. Maybe exhaust leak related? I noticed when I seafoamed it, smoke was coming from the exhaust manifold from the engine.

Quick Reply: Car Smokes and Is difficult to start uphill