2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Problem With Drum Brakes on my SX 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 04:55 PM
DustinSims
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Problem With Drum Brakes on my SX 2.0

Hey guys, this was my first time working with drum brakes so I don't know if I'm making a stupid mistake or what's happening. I have everything installed and I've checked it with the other side and everything looks the same, but no matter how loose I make the adjuster it's still way too tight and it heats up within a minute of me taking it for a little test run.

I put in brand new shoes, a drum and I got a hardware kit and replaced the springs. I've double checked with Lordco Autoparts and they say that it's for sure the right parts.

I've also had 2 others look at it and we're all stumped. Figured I'd ask here before paying someone else to call me an idiot and fixing it in 10 seconds.

Oh right, it's a 2005.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:00 AM
JoseyWales
Rookie

Originally Posted by DustinSims
Hey guys, this was my first time working with drum brakes so I don't know if I'm making a stupid mistake or what's happening. I have everything installed and I've checked it with the other side and everything looks the same, but no matter how loose I make the adjuster it's still way too tight and it heats up within a minute of me taking it for a little test run.

I put in brand new shoes, a drum and I got a hardware kit and replaced the springs. I've double checked with Lordco Autoparts and they say that it's for sure the right parts.

I've also had 2 others look at it and we're all stumped. Figured I'd ask here before paying someone else to call me an idiot and fixing it in 10 seconds.

Oh right, it's a 2005.
...is the drums new? if not did you get them turned down..?? when rear drums where down it leaves an edge that can cause problem when you have to take off the drum and putting them back on..did you put the breaks on wright? theres a front shoe and rear shoes...ive done that before too..=got them on wrong..does your rear drum turn freely? if not like id said look at the stuff id said..

Old 09-11-2013, 12:45 AM
frankarnone70
Rookie

Sometimes of the wheel cylinders are bad, they won't compress inward. I know that's my problem. I bought new star adj. Kit and springs. Make sire the star adj. Is for the right side of the car. There is a left and right one. Also make sure there facing the right way as well. If your not sure I will take my wheel off and post a pick or two of the right setup. I've done many drum brake service on neon.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:24 PM
DustinSims

Yeah, I put in new drums, new shoes and new hardware. I don't think the wheel cylinders are a problem, I can hear them tapping together when I push them inwards. I was told it might be a factory defect in the shoes or drum and I should get them checked for sizing.

Quick Reply: Problem With Drum Brakes on my SX 2.0