2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Please help! 03 dodge neon se car stalls when making sharp turns

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 02:21 PM
devonijanay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Please help! 03 dodge neon se car stalls when making sharp turns

ok, i bought a used car last week 03 dodge neon se, assured by the owner "everything is good" with the car. the very next day, sure enough everything wasnt good. long story short, the car stalls when i make sharp turns and if i make too sharp of a turn, the car will completely stop, but when i turn off the ignition and turn it back on it starts immediately. heres what i know: the car has a leak in the fuel pump ( we discovered after purchasing) and you can't tell that its leaking except when making turns. i assumed that the reason the car stalls when turning is because of the fuel pump, BUT also when the car stalls out and stops, the oil light comes on. it stops as soon as i begin driving again. 2. the car only stops on the sharp turns when the gas is relatively low. (a quarter of a tank or below) but since there is a leak in the pump i find myself going below a half tank frequently.
So thats what i know about the car. do you think it could be just the fuel pump or multiple problems? do you think the car is worth repairing and keeping?
this is my first dodge neon and am quite dissappointed in the purchase as far as feeling like ive been tricked, but thats the risk of buying used cars right?

if you know any info. that might help me diagnose this and/ or advice surely appreciate it.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:54 AM
frankarnone70
Rookie

If the mileage is . I'd get a used pump from the junk yard and try it. You should be able to get a used pump for under 100 bones

As for the problem your neon has, I'd say that's weird. Check all the ground wires.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:07 PM
JoseyWales
Rookie

junk pump plus you probley got a filter proublem too..the filter is on the bottom of that pump..its proubley colapsing when you go into your turns..also could have junk,dirt in that tank too..I would be dropping the tank out asap to inspect it..and replace the fuel pump..

Old 09-19-2013, 10:19 PM
pfusco3

The stalling could be a problem with the Power Steering Pressure Switch.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:43 PM
JoseyWales
Rookie

Originally Posted by pfusco3
The stalling could be a problem with the Power Steering Pressure Switch.
both of our 2001 neon power steering pressure switch went bad and we never had a stalling problem..i still havent replaced mine as of yet and that been about a year now..

Old 09-20-2013, 03:11 PM
richards83
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the pfusco3. Sounds like a bad power steering switch to me. About a $30 part and not unusual to go bad. I'm curious why you say the fuel pump is leaking. The fuel pump is in the tank, so if it were leaking, wouldn't it leak inside the tank? It's probably just a leaking hose. As for the oil pressure light;it's supposed to come on when the engine dies since there's no oil pressure.

Quick Reply: Please help! 03 dodge neon se car stalls when making sharp turns