2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Noise while coasting from front wheels not a bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Elbob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise while coasting from front wheels not a bearing

I have a 2003 Neon SXT that is making a fairly loud noise coming from the front, it sounds like the drivers tire area. It only occurs when coasting, accelerating stops it, as does turning right. Neutral doesn't change it.

We replaced the wheel bearing and the noise is still there. Our next thought would be CV Joint, but I'd rather not spend money replacing another part that isn't bad.

Ideas? I saw in one of the sticky threads that it could possibly be the strut, but it doesn't really sound like suspension, it's more of a grinding that matches the speed of the coasting.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: SOLVED

Upon inspection of the passenger side, the CV Joint came apart, we replaced the passenger CV Joint and the noise is now gone.

Last edited by Elbob; 10-14-2013 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Solved
Old 10-14-2013, 06:04 PM
Elbob

Ok here's more weird stuff. We ran the car on jack stands and it doesn't make the noise. We moved the stands from under the frame to under the A arms so there was simulated pressure on the cv joints and still no noise. My dad said he has the speedometer up to 25+ and let off and it wouldn't do it. On the ground you hear it pretty loud at 25.

If it were the tires in need of rotation wouldn't you hear it all the time and not just coasting? He might try rotating them just to rule it out regardless.

The CV boots are all untorn and the one he checked was packed full of grease still.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:03 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

bad motor mounts were mine that made that noise, metal to metal contact

Old 03-13-2014, 11:36 PM
shanes76
Professional

I have a 2000 ram 4x4 that is doing the same thing, replaced the u joint and still does it, wheel bearing doesnt seem to be bad

Old 04-01-2014, 02:23 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

on my 03 ram the left wheel bearing makes noise when turning at speed 40+ you can feel it in the steering wheel... but with the rim off turning the hub by had its nice an smooth. But I;ve had bearings do this before in my ram so its at another 100k hub change

Quick Reply: Noise while coasting from front wheels not a bearing