2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Lights dim/flicker

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:21 PM
stick137
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights dim/flicker

Hello,
I finally replaced the factory battery today (10+ years old). While changing the battery, I used a battery terminal cleaner and some anti corrosion spray. I was out driving tonight and my lights (headlights, interior, dash etc.) seem to dim/flicker while driving. I assume it's because I'm hitting little bumps. I've made sure the battery terminals are tight, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem and I don't want to over tighten them... I've lifted the hook and tried moving the wires around and that doesn't seem to do anything... Does anyone have any ideas on what to check?

Old 01-06-2014, 01:02 PM
jemmadawne

My 2005 Grand Caravan does the same thing. Not all the time either. My alternator was getting bad, so my mechanic changed it, but it didn't solve the problem. Hopefully someone here has some further info....I'm not liking the disco thing, lol.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Mad Professor
Amateur

Mine has started doing this after I replaced the battery. I haven't replaced anything on the charging system except battery, but since the engine threw a rod bearing, it's on my todo list.

I suspect it's the alternator, pcm or poor grounding, check your grounds!

If it is the pcm I might crack one open and check for bad capacitors.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:47 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the grounds as mentioned for corrosion and/or looseness. If you live back East, it's quite common for grounds to get corroded and cause problems. Be sure to check the ground under the fuse box lid in the engine bay too

Quick Reply: Lights dim/flicker