2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

neon pulling to the right

Old 01-29-2014, 10:33 AM
srt4rez
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neon pulling to the right

I have a 04 neon sxt and theres a slight pull to the right when driving. I have new tires on it and everything seems to be tight on the suspension. Not driving the neon for now until I access the problem. I have about 150 k on it to this day. Probably check the toe in just in case. Any other suggestions would be nice.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:15 AM
steve die
Amateur

You could have a partially/fully seized front or rear caliper (if equipped). If its a drum brake it could be seized as well. When you checked the suspension did you check the outter tie rods? A bad Tie rod will cause it to pull to one side.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:12 PM
srt4rez
Professional
Smile pulling to the right

thanks, those are good suggestions! I'll be checking those items. I changed my rear drums to disc brakes about 3 years ago, so im not running rear drums anymore. But I will check into your suggestions. thanks a bunch!

Old 01-29-2014, 04:31 PM
steve die
Amateur

No problem, hopefully its the issue. if you see rust along the piston it could be sticking. You should be able to rotate the rotors fairly easily if its not sticking. Easiest way to asses the problem is just do a brake job, especially since you have rear discs. $40 job and will have to compress the piston so checking if its a issue will be a more through job. I had a friends sonata rear disc brake stick badly and I had to replace it. Didn't know that was the issue until i did the brakes. fixed the drifting issue.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:44 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Check the fire pressure.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:23 AM
srt4rez
Professional

Ok, I checked it, tire pressures are all good, no binding of any sort from the brakes, but my passenger side outer tie rod has a movement of about 2 to 3 mm movement. Driver side is about 1 mm movement too. Those are only places that I felt and lower ball joints are good. I'm running prothane bushings on the car. I replaced them with those about 2 years ago. No movement in any of them. So I'll replace the outer tie rods and see what happens again, thank you guys!

Old 02-01-2014, 11:09 AM
steve die
Amateur

The tire shouldn't move at all when it's up on stands and your pulling it towards you. Make sure your lug nuts are snug, if they are lose it will pull forward as if the tie rods are bad, not to mention its dangerous and cause drift. Tie rods are a pain to replace, the first ones i did on my car (by the way my passenger side tire moved 1cm when i pulled on it...) the jam nuts were so rusted it sucked. Luckily the Tie rods are cheap.

You will have to have the car aligned after that, i forgot to mention that. If your ball joints are good, check the control arm bushings to K-frame. If it looks as though they are popping out (with vehicle rested on ground) they are bad, that will cause drift. If its jacked up you shouldn't be able to move it. But you said you checked the suspension already. If that doesn't yield results I'm going to bet something funky is going on with the brakes.

Oh while your replacing the outter rods make note of the inner rod condition. it should stay firm when you unhook the outter rod. it shouldn't sag down, if it does the inner rod is bad and will cause play in the steering and I'd assume a drift. I haven't done one of those though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: neon pulling to the right