2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

P 0522 code and oil light

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:13 AM
mattarmsr2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P 0522 code and oil light

This is my first post on this forum, and as I'm sure this type of question has been posted many a time I thought I would post anyways! It may just be me but I believe my scenario might be a bit different.

I have a 2005 dodge sx 2.0 (Canadian version of the neon) and have only had it for about 4 months. It has about 145, 000 kms or appr. 90, 000 miles on it.

I work at remote locations so I leave my car at my mother's house. A few months ago while I was away she had a "problem" with the car. She said she was driving and smoke started coming from the hood. The oil light came on. She got it towed to a local mechanic, he changed a gasket cleaned up the mess, checked everything and it seemed to be ok.

When I got home I was told of what happened. I got in the car, there was no oil light but when I did a key cycle the code P 0522 came on. But after a couple weeks the code just vanished.

Jump ahead to February and lately the engine has been ticking a bit, almost as if the valves are sticking. I blame it due to the cold weather (-40 some days, this morning it was warmer at -15 C) and after a half an hour or so it seems to go away.

This morning though, I started the car up ( it was -15C) and was kind of in a rush to school. I let it warm up but not long. I was driving and I noticed the oil light came on. My car being a standard I turned it off while driving, popped the clutch and it restarted with no oil light.

And after about 2 months of it being gone, the P 0522 code came back today. Any idea what is going on? The car always seems to have plenty of oil as I check it daily. Is this something I should worry about? I'm about to drive over 3000 kms next month so I want to make sure my car will make the trip!

Old 02-12-2014, 08:35 PM
rm909
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might be a bad oil pressure sensor. OEM Part should be less than $20. It's a pretty simple DIY change. You will need a deep well socket which is like $7 and it will make doing the job a whole lot easier. Or if you're not confident in doing it yourself, take it to your mechanic. It will cost more though.

Quick Reply: P 0522 code and oil light