2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

04 Neon brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 01:28 AM
Will_V2Lab
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 Neon brake issues

Hey guys. I'm absolutely stumped. My friend's stepsister needed the brakes on her 04 Neon.

I take the front/left wheel off. I see the pads are practically brand new. We pop the hood to see that her and her boyfriend let the brake reservoir go dry (obviously leaking somewhere).

We fill the reservoir and attempt to bleed the brakes only to sheer the bleeder screw. This little bastard was WRENCHED on. I mean someone had to have been hanging from it. I broke a professional easy out trying to get the remainder out.

Ended up getting it removed and ordered OEM bleeder screws. Tonight I installed the new bleeder screw (still front/left) and it felt great. Tightened it up, topped the fluid, and attempted bleeding it again. Even tight... The bleeder screw was spitting fluid. Tightened it even more and the pedal gained pressure again.

Test drove... No pressure at all. Leaking fluid from the bleeder screw. We're afraid the other screws will be the same way.

Now if the girl and her boyfriend left it dry enough, could it have ruined the calipers? We're ready to order new (reman) calipers from Rockauto, but don't want to waste our time if they do the same.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss. Thanks in advance!

Old 02-17-2014, 02:25 AM
sbhawaiian
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I broke the bleeder screw and easy out trying to do the same thing on my f150 instead of my neon. I have a feeling that when they did the bleeder screws the last time they messed it up or crossed threaded it. They may have even put some kind of epoxy to fix it. I did ending up getting a new caliper. Since they have new bleeders and are bench tested I'm pretty sure they should be okay.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:15 AM
73novass
Rookie

Its most likely leaking from the wheel cylinders I have replaced mine 2 times in the last 4 years or it might be my bad luck

Old 02-18-2014, 12:33 PM
sbhawaiian
Professional

Must be the same people who make the strut mounts on my neon. I have to replace them about every year. (yes I do measure the top mount to 119mm) Hope the next caliper will last longer.

Quick Reply: 04 Neon brake issues