2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2004 SXT CPS and oil leak/head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 05:41 PM
trustthemoose
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 SXT CPS and oil leak/head gasket?

Hey guys, first time poster, lurker for a while.

I just got a 2004 Dodge Neon SXT a few weeks ago, and I'm stuck with the worst luck. I had my check engine light come on, and, like some of the posts I've seen, it was Camshaft Position Sensor. I paid the 30 bucks at Auto Zone to get it and repaired it the next morning. After attaching the new part and putting the battery back in, everything seemed fine. No check engine light, no problems gearing above 2500 RPMs.

However, a day afterwards, I got the low oil light whenever I would stop at lights or stop signs. I checked, and sure enough, my oil was really low. Only having it for a few weeks, I added some oil to get me through and took it to get an oil change and inspection.

Five minutes in, they called me out there and I got to see the oil coating the undercarriage of my car.
According to the tech at the place, it looked like "a blown head gasket, the engine is puking oil out the side of the engine block".
I didn't see the oil coming out for myself, but I have a hard time believing it's the head gasket. I have no overheating issues, no smoke, no oil/coolant mixtures.

Has anyone had similar issues, or seen anything like this before? I'm trying to get some ideas before I look at the (extremely high) cost of getting my head gasket replaced.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:44 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If it's pushing oil from there, you probably won't get away with just a gasket. There may be a low spot in the head around the oil passage contributing to it. Make sure they send it off to the machine shop or at least put a straight edge across it and check it.

Quick Reply: 2004 SXT CPS and oil leak/head gasket?