2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

how do you reset cam after timing belt slipped

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 05:37 PM
twam911
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you reset cam after timing belt slipped

I am working on a 03 dodge neon 2.0 that the timing belt slipped on. It appears to have jumped 1 1/2 or 2 teeth. I got the crank marks on line and the cam marks are off. I took timing belt off but how do you get the cam marks back on? if you turn the cam pulley the #1 exhaust valves start to open. I think that both #1 intake and exhaust should be closed. Any ideas? I have never done this b4 and it is for my daughters friend who is broke. I was told that if it jumped 3 teeth or more forget it. When I roll the cam pulley it has a "sweet spot" when I'm guessing, when valves have no pressure on them.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:36 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Welcome to DF. For future reference:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/new-mem...-yourself.html

Moving to the correct section.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:29 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Just make sure you timing marks are lined up on the crank/block and then the cam sprocket and rear timing cover. You can rotate the cam sprocket clockwise until you have reached TDC. It wont cause any damage doing it by hand (slowly, of course). Once you have everything at TDC and the belt is on and the tensioner has been released, complete a few manual rotations of the crank to confirm that your marks are still line up properly.

Its been too many years since I did my top-end rebuild with a new cam, but I recall having to set the cam sprocket back a half a tooth, because when the tensioner is released and the belt tightens, it causes it to hit TDC perfectly. You might need to play around with that just a little bit.

Just an FYI, in case you didn't have the timing diagram already. Also make sure your spark plugs are removed, it will help the cylinders move more freely.

Attached Thumbnails how do you reset cam after timing belt slipped-timingmarks.jpg  

Last edited by 03neonRT; 03-11-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:04 PM
twam911

Thanks, we did exactly how you said to do this. We still have no compression in any cylinder. We put in new plugs also and when we pulled them to do another compression test the plugs were oil covered. Not sure what that means except bad rings? The car did not smoke prior to shutting down. No unusual noises before quitting. Oil changes every 3500 miles for last 100k miles.Has new crank and cam sensors installed. Another odd thing is that it is not sparking correctly. We get a spark then nothing. Then we will get 2 then nothing. We put on a new coil pak....still same results. We put a little oil down spark plug holes turned motor by hand 3 complete revolutions and rechecked compression and still have no compression. The timing did jump 2 teeth. Do we pull the head to check valves? or are we wasting our time. I have a mechanic helping me and he is lost as much as I am.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:26 PM
96 standard

Sounds like head gasket problem not all smoke or make noise when they go. If there is coolant in the oil than again head gasket is our best guess. Hope this is helpful.

Quick Reply: how do you reset cam after timing belt slipped