2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

05 Neon Manual transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 12:58 AM
Albius
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 05 Neon Manual transmission questions

Hi there.

I have some questions about my car and its behavior. (mileage is near of 44,000)

First question is:
How do I know what is my final gears ratio? I have read some info of the manual trannys in the Neons (T-350) and I found that there are 2 final gears ratio configurations for the same model years (3.50 and 3.88)

Second question (more technical):

Situation: When I start the car in the morning I hear a sound like a water pump is faulty, (like a snore or something like that, I don't know how to describe it exactly in english) My water pump was changed about 1 month ago for the OEM one and the timing belt was replaced too. So the noise definetly doesn't come from the right side of the engine bay. When I approach my ear to my tranny in cold the sound is very noticeable, but it gets down while the car is getting warm and/or I drive it for 10-15 minutes.

When I drive the car for a while my clutch pedal squeaks a little bit when I press and depress to shift, isn't hear like the squeal of a rat; the sound is like a severely stretched cable. Once the car cools off or before the first start every morning I press-depress pedal but I can not hear nothing from it.

I know my clutch is not in good shape now so I guess the snore coming from the tranny is caused by that. Probably the clutch bearing/collar is bad too. So I don't want to speculate anything about any internal damage.

I don't have any (or not noticeable) clutch slipping and my gears don't bounce at any RPM range, I don't have clutch pivot leaking and the fluid is in the level so I don't have a synchro or cylinder problem neither.

Can you guys help me to figure out the exact problem I have in order to have a more solid base of the symptoms and compare the diagnostics that the mechanic can give me?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Quick Reply: 05 Neon Manual transmission questions