2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2004 SXT AC not working...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 08:25 PM
2004 STX
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 SXT AC not working...

I have a 2004 Neon STX with a 2.0. 102K miles. Recently purchased this car and wanted to do the regular maintenance before I started driving it. I replaced the motor mounts, timing belt, water pump, idler pully, A/C belt, Alternator belt, O2 sensors, spark plugs, ignition wires and oil pan gasket.

Before I started the work, the AC worked and blew cold air. Now I turn it on and the clutch is not engaging. I tested the power to the compressor and I am not getting any power. I checked the fuse boxes and the fuses seem to be fine. What could I have done to cause this to not be getting power? Is there a relay somewhere I am missing? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the AC system so I can route to the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:16 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004 STX
I have a 2004 Neon STX with a 2.0. 102K miles. Recently purchased this car and wanted to do the regular maintenance before I started driving it. I replaced the motor mounts, timing belt, water pump, idler pully, A/C belt, Alternator belt, O2 sensors, spark plugs, ignition wires and oil pan gasket.

Before I started the work, the AC worked and blew cold air. Now I turn it on and the clutch is not engaging. I tested the power to the compressor and I am not getting any power. I checked the fuse boxes and the fuses seem to be fine. What could I have done to cause this to not be getting power? Is there a relay somewhere I am missing? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the AC system so I can route to the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Did you break the little green connector on the back of the compressor? High side transducer. People do that a lot when jacking the engine up and down to do the timing belt.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:37 PM
2004 STX

Thank you for the reply, I did notice the green connector was plugged in but it could be pulled on and off because the tab that secures it was broken off. But it still stayed in place. I still can't figure why I do not have power to that plug or the other that engages the clutch when I turn the ac on in the cab. Any suggestions from past experience or have you read about this with others? I can't seem to find anything on here or other sites.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:38 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Thank you for the reply, I did notice the green connector was plugged in but it could be pulled on and off because the tab that secures it was broken off. But it still stayed in place. I still can't figure why I do not have power to that plug or the other that engages the clutch when I turn the ac on in the cab. Any suggestions from past experience or have you read about this with others? I can't seem to find anything on here or other sites.

The funny thing about these AC systems is that you can't read ANY data except for "request" in the PCM. The PCM will not send power unless the low and high side data (actually hidden data) is received. It a frustrating system. Those terminals may be spread OR the wires are broken under the insulation, which I see a lot of.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:47 AM
2004 STX

Besides checking the green connector for damage, do you think I should get my system charged to ensure the PCM is not sending a signal to not give power to the compressor? This would help me rule that out before I start trying to trace wires for bad connections.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:37 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Besides checking the green connector for damage, do you think I should get my system charged to ensure the PCM is not sending a signal to not give power to the compressor? This would help me rule that out before I start trying to trace wires for bad connections.

Get an "Evacuate and Recharge" done, sure. If the plug terminals are bad, here's the repair kit

Mopar Package #: 05083217AA

Last edited by TNtech; 06-16-2014 at 09:40 AM.

Quick Reply: 2004 SXT AC not working...