2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Odd noises... Please help, so tired of this

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 11:20 PM
webspinnr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd noises... Please help, so tired of this

So I bought this 2000 neon 136kish miles oh about 8 months ago and my problems have been endless. Busted door fuse, Disintegrated O-ring, leaky transmission hose, second transmission hose leak, faulty ignition switch due to the bar between the key turn thing and the switch actually snapping, the tie iron nut just flying off due to worn threads.... And I'm pretty certain the coolant tank has a leak in it. To be fair the busted door fuse was there when I bought it. Yes, just the door fuse. I'm so so SO tired of taking this car in. So I'm hoping you can help me diagnose this and if my dreams come true, tell me I don't have to worry.

So one weird noise is a little bit of grinding that's loudest when I pull out of my driveway and pull the steering wheel. There isn't a lot of turning at high speeds so I don't know if it also happens then, but it seems to be less loud if I've driven for a while.

The second noise happens only once I start driving, it's like a high pitched chime like the warning chime except it is definitely coming from outside the cabin under the hood. Once I start driving it is constant as long as I am not pressing on the accelerator and continues even if I park.

I'm so tired. Please help me...

Old 06-30-2014, 09:55 AM
truebluecougarman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

noise 1 sounds a lot like power steering pump. Check your fluid, there's a dipstick and it's, if you're in front of the car, on the Left. It's on top. Can't miss it. If it's full....check for leaks (all over the pump). Do you feel you have to pull harder on the wheel than you should? It might just be signs of it going bad. Try this, with the car running, turn your wheel all the way to the side (doesn't matter which), is it the same noise exemplified? If so it's most definitely your power steering pump. Luckily it's not hard to fix.

noise 2.....could be your belt squealing....but it could be a lot of things. Can you maybe describe it in more detail or upload a sound clip?

Quick Reply: Odd noises... Please help, so tired of this