2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

03 Problems - Laundry List - Need Help

Old 07-12-2014, 06:37 PM
harlequin6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Problems - Laundry List - Need Help

Started with replacing the tensioner pulley for the power steering and ac belt. Drove the car home after sucessfull completion and noticed that it seemed to have a load on it -- (forgive me if I expalin this incorrectly). Basically, it seemed that I was depressing the gas while trying to keep the car stopped. When I put it in park, the RPM went to 2500. It now constantly wants to be between 2250-3000 RPM in park/neutral, and I always have to keep the brake depressed harder than it should at stop lights.

Second issue that might be related -- at 60+ MPH, when I let off the accelerator, the car... lurtches. Imagine a manual transmission car, and popping the clutch and quickly depressing the gas peddle numberous times to make the passanger lurtch forward then be thrown back into the seat.

I have tried looking for vacuum leaks using carb cleaner. Nothing really happened. Can the high RPM in park not allow for a change using the cleaner? I have changed the Idle Control Sensor and the Throttle Control Sensor. No change.

I'm at a loss - is it time to tuck tail and take it to the dealer and have them hook it up? Is my computer to blame? Will the computer even register the new parts without me doing anything? (I did disconnect the battery overnight to hopefully reset things -- again, nothing different)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! (Sorry for any mispellings!)

Last edited by harlequin6; 07-12-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:30 PM
RyanGrant
Amateur

I don't know how to solve your issue however there is a tool that might help you narrow down your problem. it's called obdlink LX. it scans the car for obdII error codes and also allows you to monitor certain sensors etc. Not sure if it will actually help you determine the cause but it might save you money from going to a dealer to determine the issue with their scan tools if they need to even use any..

here's a link to what the product is:
http://www.scantool.net/obdlink-lx.html

I'm in no way affiliated with any scan hardware companies but I recently just purchased the MX unit so I can try to diagnose my 03 that has transmission issues. still waiting for it in the mail, hope it helps me with my issues.

good luck!

Old 07-14-2014, 12:10 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

cleaned the throttle body thoroughly before or after the tps added? No leaks in the rubber throttle body hose? it can have hair line leaks sometimes since it runs off vacuum rather then pressure

Old 07-14-2014, 03:28 PM
73novass
Rookie

is your check engine light on? If so what code as stated already then look at some simple things as well is there anything in the way of the throttle cable? Take off the black cover and look at it un install it and work the butterfly open and close manually see and feel if there is an obstruction.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:48 AM
harlequin6
Default Update

Ordered a code reader.
Actron CP9575  Auto Scanner Trilingual OBDII and CAN Scan Tool Actron CP9575 Auto Scanner Trilingual OBDII and CAN Scan Tool
because of the description and reviews online.

Yes, I cleaned everything as best as I could before installing the new sensors.

Key dance codes:
- P0340 - No cam signal at PCM
- guess my cam pos. sensor is also bad. What does this do for the car?

- P0440 - Evap sys. performance
- yes, I checked the gas cap

-P0441 - Evap purge flow monitor

-P0508 - Undercurrent at linear idle air control motor

-P0522 - Oil pressure sensor low
- I did already change the oil sending unit.
- I guess the codes do not reset themselves?

-P0551 - Power steering switch failure
- Probably from the belt not driving the power steering pump
- Again, codes have to be manually reset??

I'll be able to reset them when I get the code reader today. Then I'll drive it around a bit to see if any new codes pop up.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:06 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The P0340 code can cause all sorts of issues, including the second one you mention. It could potentially cause idle issues too. The idle issues though are likely moreso linked to the P0508 code. Me personally, I'd start by checking the camshaft sensor/IAC motor wiring for breaks or shorts, followed by replacing the sensor/motor if the wiring is fine.

You can reset codes too by disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes, or it takes something like 30 key cycles for them to clear themselves if the problem gets fixed.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:45 PM
harlequin6
Default More questions...

Are you talking about the cam positioning sensor on the side of the motor near the battery?

Is there a YouTube link or video I can watch that shows what you are talking about?

Old 07-21-2014, 02:18 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's the sensor for the P0340 code, yeah. As for the video, are you talking about checking the wiring? You are visually inspecting (looking at) the wiring to make sure none of the wires broke or are grounding out on metal, for the most part.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 Problems - Laundry List - Need Help