2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

WEIRD Neon Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:33 PM
dweano
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WEIRD Neon Issues

Hey guys. I am not going to lie I just signed up to get my problem solved. Here is the info

In the past it would studder while idling (in drive, lets say waiting at a traffic life) Say drop from 1100 to 500rpm. The odd time it would almost stall. But it never did. My guess was Idle Air Control??? Maybe like it was getting choked. But I never did replace it and the problem kind of left

Now...one day I was driving home...say 110kms (65ish mph) and all of a sudden BOOM! Seemed like it got slammed in 2nd. High rpms. Massive deceleration. WTF????

Only happened once so I kinda left it because I didn't know what to do.

But then it started happening again. Lesser so tho. Like when cruising through town it would decellerate and have high rpms...its starting to get annoying. Once it did it so bad that the check engine light came on. But then before I could check it (also someone stole my code reader...) the light went off again.

Also sometimes it lurches forward while I am braking... rarely (happened once or twice) Maybe the IAC opened up? Gave er air?

Oh one last thing...tranny fluid is good... IAC is my only guess.

What do you guys think?

Old 07-19-2014, 04:08 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you got the CEL and the car felt like it slammed into 2nd gear, it probably did (went into limp-in mode: 2nd gear only). You'll need to check the codes.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:27 PM
dweano

Could be... but I tried something here today...it happened again. And I put it in neutral while it was happening... and the rpms held steady at 2300 ish...normal neutral is like 800 rpms. So that makes me feel like idle air control??

Old 07-21-2014, 02:23 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was talking about the car slamming into a lower gear, specifically. As for the idle issues, it could be the IAC and/or it's circuit. It could be a vacuum leak too. You should check the hoses as well as the accordian tube on the intake to see if any are cracked. The accordian tube will develop cracks down in the "valleys," so you'll have to look closely. Make sure the accordian tube is fully attached to the throttle body. A common trick is to spray carb cleaner around hoses and such, and if the idle rises, you've found a leak.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:01 PM
dweano

Finally threw a code..TPS! Swapped it out and seems to be fixed. Time will tell. Just incase anyone has the same problem

Quick Reply: WEIRD Neon Issues