2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2003 Neon Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Mitsuraga
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Neon Overheating

Okay, so I've been trying to figure out what's going on with my 2003 Neon and its recent, mysterious overheating issue.

For the sake of context... about six months ago, the timing belt went out on me, so the water pump was replaced around Jan/Feb, and I'd doubt that the head gasket is the cause of it. The fans also seem to be working okay, and the coolant levels are good and full.

My car had been running just fine, until one evening after work, it starts overheating. Assuming that it was the thermostat in need of replacement, I went that route and installed a new one just today. I even tested the old thermostat after making the switch by setting it in boiling water - sure enough, it didn't open up.

Problem is, my car continues to overheat if I go any faster than 40 mph. I'm pretty sure that I installed the thermostat correctly; I double-checked to ensure that there isn't any leakage, or anything like that.

I really just have no idea what else it could likely be that's causing the overheating, and no tutorials I've found anywhere online are helping me to pinpoint what it might be. As such, I have created an account on here to seek out the assistance of other Neon owners, in the hope that I might attain the guidance I so desperately need.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:39 AM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

only a few things can make it overheat, clogged blocked radiator, cooling fan not pulling enough air, thermostat spring side goes toward engine, air in system, kinked lower radiator hose, bad head gasket... you can rent a tool to pressure test the cooling system from most auto places

I did a timing belt kit this past weekend on a friends neon and his cooling fan was spinning so slow I was letting it idle to heat up check for leaks an burp the air out, took it apart cleaned the bushing oiled it & the bearing with sae 20 non detergent oil (any 20w oil will work dont use WD40 stuff) could have put a new after market fan on it but this was faster then driving to town lol

Last edited by TejasMtnBiker; 07-29-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:45 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

any luck?

Quick Reply: 2003 Neon Overheating