2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Just changed the right side lower torque strut and 2 days it's already toast?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 12:25 AM
Mohunter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just changed the right side lower torque strut and 2 days it's already toast?

I had a bad vibe in the front end, thought it was a tire scrubbing on the strut, changed the strut, then found out it was a bad right lower torque strut (motor mount) and changed that out. It immediately fixed the problem for 2 days, now it's back! Checked the lower torque strut and it's already got cracks in the rubber............Jeezz! WTF is going on here?
I did notice that the "Pencil Strut" is missing, it goes from the longer than usual bolt on the back end of the lower strut up to the fender well, would that make the lower torque strut fail so rapidly? Need some help here guys because this is my first neon and I'm still learning.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:40 AM
Mohunter

I really had hopes that someone would have replied to this thread by now. If anyone has had similar issues or knows of a thread in progress on this subject please send me a link, or point me in the right direction. I'm at a total loss as to what's causing my neon to eat lower torque struts.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Herman Geronimo Miranda
Old 08-28-2014, 12:29 PM
Mohunter

Thanks Herman, I checked that procedure out yesterday and printed the materials off so I could follow them exactly. I found a pencil strut at a local junk yard (since mine was MIA) and I'm picking up a new lower torque mount from the auto parts today. I'll give this another shot and do it the Right way, maybe things will turn out better this time ..........I hope!

Old 08-28-2014, 02:10 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

if the passenger side motor mount is shot it will cause the new torque struts to tear faster or if you jacked up the motor too far with a jack... there's a plastic plug about silver dollar size on the inner passenger fender where the motor mount bolt goers thru, look in there to see if your motor mount is torn

Old 08-28-2014, 04:51 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TejasMtnBiker
if the passenger side motor mount is shot it will cause the new torque struts to tear faster or if you jacked up the motor too far with a jack... there's a plastic plug about silver dollar size on the inner passenger fender where the motor mount bolt goers thru, look in there to see if your motor mount is torn
This ^^^

Old 08-28-2014, 04:56 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Also, has your car already had the timing belt and water pump changed (105,000 miles)? If not, I'd wait until then and replace everything then.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:48 PM
Mohunter

I've inspected the middle motor mount and it doesn't appear to be damaged, bolt is still in place and rubber is intact with no obvious tears or damage. As far as the timing belt and water pump I have no idea since I just bought this car about a month ago and only info I got with it was the Car Fax.
I'm going to change the lower torque strut again this weekend and do the motor alignment procedure (which I didn't do last time) and hopefully it will fix the problem?
Thanks for all the advice.

Quick Reply: Just changed the right side lower torque strut and 2 days it's already toast?