2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Question about engine alignment procedure after installing new motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 05:26 PM
Mohunter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about engine alignment procedure after installing new motor mounts

I did the alignment procedure and even used calipers to check the dimension that was given, after installing both the upper and lower torque struts. I took it for a drive this afternoon and first thing I noticed was a bad vibe coming from the front end, then it didn't want to shift into D or Reverse? I added some tranny fluid and it shifted into gear, but drives rough and still vibrates pretty bad. I also noticed that it down shifts pretty hard now, and it never did that before.

My question is............Does the car need to be sitting on flat level ground and not on a jack stand under the passenger side in order to do the engine alignment procedure? Because I had it up on a jack stand under the frame on the passenger side with the passenger tire off to allow better access to the lower strut. I'm thinking that this may have given me a false measurement and maybe I'm actually adjusted too high now?

I'm going to repeat the procedure with both front tires on level pavement in my garage and hope that cures the problems.
Any advice, encouragement, or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:08 PM
neown420
Rookie

If anything put the entire front of the car on jack stands. Maybe the one stand caused a little bit of frame twist thus throwing the alignment out the window? Did you also replace the trans mount?

Old 10-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Mohunter

I ended up taking it in to a shop to have the middle motor mount changed. That seemed to fix the vibration issues.

Quick Reply: Question about engine alignment procedure after installing new motor mounts