2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Is my transmission blown?

Old 09-22-2014, 08:18 PM
spudsy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my transmission blown?

I bought a 2001 Neon with a blown engine. As I was trying to remove the engine I noticed that while the vehicle is in park I can spin the axles and like an old school rear wheel drive the other side spins the same direction like a posi would. Now Iam old school rear wheel and if its in gear things wont turn if in park but this is turning while in park. So is this normal to be able to turn while in park or is the transmission blown up??

Old 09-22-2014, 09:34 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by spudsy
I bought a 2001 Neon with a blown engine. As I was trying to remove the engine I noticed that while the vehicle is in park I can spin the axles and like an old school rear wheel drive the other side spins the same direction like a posi would. Now Iam old school rear wheel and if its in gear things wont turn if in park but this is turning while in park. So is this normal to be able to turn while in park or is the transmission blown up??

If the wheels are off the ground they will move independently.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:56 PM
spudsy

Originally Posted by TNtech
If the wheels are off the ground they will move independently.
Okay so even if the transmission is in park the wheels will still rotate as long as the 2 tires are in the air?

Old 09-22-2014, 10:05 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by spudsy
Okay so even if the transmission is in park the wheels will still rotate as long as the 2 tires are in the air?

Yes, not super easy freewheeling but yes they will turn. In park, the diff case is locked but the diff gears can still move. When the wheels are on the ground they "oppose" each other.

Also, if you disconnect one half shaft the car will roll in park on the ground

Last edited by TNtech; 09-22-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:14 AM
spudsy

Originally Posted by TNtech
Yes, not super easy freewheeling but yes they will turn. In park, the diff case is locked but the diff gears can still move. When the wheels are on the ground they "oppose" each other.

Also, if you disconnect one half shaft the car will roll in park on the ground
Okay they turn easy and instead of one going one way and the other going another they turn in the same direction as each other like a locker unit would do like a spooled diff instead of a limited slip style.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is my transmission blown?