2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

p/s tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 05:49 PM
G SKI
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p/s tensioner

I can not get to p/s belt tensioner so called the dealer and asked to also replace center motor mount. so about $300 labor and $600. in parts. does that sound about near right? I would have loved to do it myself but you have to lift the engine to get at the tensioner so may as well do the center engine mount. Correct? Car has over 130k on it.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:26 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've changed the belts on mine without lifting the engine or doing anything crazy (I'm assuming you are trying to change the belts). A belt tensioner tool helps a lot too, but it can be done rather easily without it as well.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:07 PM
G SKI
Rookie

To start I needed to change the belts but now I see the tensioner pully is shot.To get the tensioner off up goes the engine, so if their in there do the center motor mount if thats on the way out. Im looking at like $900.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:14 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Oh, I see. I read it as you were trying to get to the tensioner to loosen the belts to change them. I don't have a Neon to look at anymore to give you ideas. I had my pulley changed when the timing belt, water pump, etc. were all changed. Sorry!

In regards to the pricing, the dealership is high in parts because they replace the tensioner (engine mount) plate assembly which is something like $500ish. That with the ~$100 engine mount gives you the $600. A pulley costs $20-$30 I think at a parts store.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:41 PM
G SKI
Rookie

Well the dealer changed the front engine cover, and the two belts for $500. and labor was $400. plus tax $978.44. so there goes my dental work. Now i asked them to check the center motor mount and a leak I couldn't find. Said the mount was ok but didn't check the leak. I needed the car so I left but went back next day. Luckily the head of the service dept waited on me and he had the mechanic look again, it's the water pump. So all I gotta pay is dealer cost of pump, no labor charge. Things are looking up, I Just couldn't see where the leak started and can't understand how they missed the leak the 1st time. Thanks for your help and info.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:29 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Glad you got it fixed. I personally would have just bought the $30 pulley and paid a good shop probably ~$150 to change it if I didn't want to and been done. The belts wouldn't be any extra labor as they have to come off anyways.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:39 AM
G SKI
Rookie

Well no it's not fixed. Took car home 2 miles, next morning the puddle under car and dripping from same spot. Gotta go back, week #3. I can't see the source, but it puddles on the engine just below and across from the water pipe that goes to the back o the water pump. And yes they changed the O-ring. Any ideas?

Old 11-23-2014, 04:23 PM
G SKI
Rookie

Question. Should I be paying to get leak fixed now? This is the 3rd week in a row trying to fix it. The car is an 05, so no warranty. But they failed to fix it. What can I expect , like parts at cost no labor which they did the second week for me with a little trouble. Or no charge at all. I thank you for the information. sorry one more question. On a car that old, I can only expect to talk to dealership manager then owner if needed. Not the dodge service rep, or can I?

Last edited by G SKI; 11-23-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:59 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I certainly wouldn't be paying them again to inspect it to see what they think it is. I'd be a little upset if they kept charging me money week after week and apparently guessing what the problem is, especially after paying them $1,000 to do a sub-$300 job. I'd start by talking with the service manager. After that is when you'd go to the general manager if needed.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:31 AM
G SKI
Rookie

So this time I now get a rental car at no charge, and they kept my car two days saying they couldn't get it to leak. Finally get a call from them, they think it was a little rust where the O-ring sits behind the water pump. So far so good and no charge. I hope so. Thanks again for all the information. Enjoy the Holidays

Quick Reply: p/s tensioner