2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2003 Neon not starting, no spark, 12V on coil input for only a second

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 01:18 PM
i-am-steve
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Neon not starting, no spark, 12V on coil input for only a second

(I posted this several days ago on another site/forum but that forum does not seem to get much traffic, so I am trying again here)

This is not my car, but I am trying to help get it running again with my son in law.

2003 Neon, will not start. Was running okay a few days ago and then died when it was being driven. I am not sure of the accuracy of the story, but the (automatic) gear shift selector may have been moved from one gear to another immediately before the failure.

Battery and starter seem to be okay, engine cranks over well, but there is no spark. Fuses all ok. We moved relays around, without effect.

Checking voltage at the center pin on the connector that goes to the coil pack, it shows 12V but only for about a second when the ignition is turned from off to run. Then it returns to 0V. Tried moving the gear selector through the different gears (thinking it might be an interlock issue), but the voltage still reads 0V at the coil pack connector.

After searching the internet, my son in law replaced the crankshaft position sensor. Still does not start.

Any ideas?

Maybe we'll try the camshaft position sensor next, but I hate to just throw semi-random parts at it.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2003 Neon not starting, no spark, 12V on coil input for only a second