2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

lights issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 01:02 PM
NicoleMorgan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lights issue

Hey, all. Besides needing my center mount replaced (hard kick unless I drive carefully), I've been noticing my headlights dimming and lights on my dash flickering on, then back to normal. A time or two, I'm fairly certain even the mileage light/numbers went blank, then right back on. One night while idling in a drive thru, the headlights, cd player, all lights completely shut off, and the car's security light came on the dash...lights came back on. I've noticed this light come on several times. I'll sometimes hear the engine kind of "bog" down during idle, then that security system light is on again. One day, the car shut off on me during idle at a red light as though the key in the ignition had been turned off. The car started right back up without issue. I should also mention that the airbag light sometimes goes on and off, over and over.

I bought this car used, and while I feel deep down its a decent car, getting to the root of these "little" issues is becoming a pain in my ****. I've driven it hard for many miles since about a year, so I can't say it's junk. For a while I believed it had tranny probs but it was missing the center bolt (I believe the mechanic called it this) that secures the engine, and that completely corrected my shifting probs with it kicking into overdrive too soon, bogging down, etc. Now, I'm here having the current problems. Yay. I wish I knew if it's actually safe to drive when I make the 2.5 hour trip to visit family, then back again. I wish I were a mechanic!

I'm also curious to know if it would be safe to drive back home with a good top and bottom mount until I can hire a mechanic to replace the center mount. TIA!

Last edited by NicoleMorgan; 12-19-2014 at 01:05 PM. Reason: left something out
Old 12-19-2014, 10:07 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Time to check your battery terminals and engine grounds for tightness and corrosion.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:28 PM
NicoleMorgan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for the input. I'll definitely check those things out. Hopefully that's all it is.

Quick Reply: lights issue