2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Cylinder #1 Misfire Scanner Code - car is hard to start in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 10:07 AM
Catfish_John
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder #1 Misfire Scanner Code - car is hard to start in cold weather

My car is a 2002 Neon with 108K miles on it, bought used. I keep the fluids full and change the oil every 5-10K miles, as I don't drive much anymore.

I was advised that I have an oil leak in Cylinder #1, which makes the car very hard to start in cold weather (and it always sets the "Check Engine" light). My handheld code scanner always shows "P0301", both Pend & Mil.
It was suggested should replace the Cylinder #1 (only) spark plug with a platinum grade spark plug, as it "will burn through the oil" that is fouling the plug.

Once the engine is started, the car runs good - 25 to 30 MPG, and fast, for hours/ over 100 miles, but with some slightly rough idling now and then. (I had already checked the ignition wires and coil pack at night with a spray bottle of water - everywhere and liberally: not a single flash was anywhere to be seen.)

Is my adviser (Carlos at NAPA in Salisbury) right? - I think he is!
Thanks.
p.s. Cylinder #1 is at the front of the engine, right?
(the passenger side end - and the numbers are read left to right - true?)

Old 01-27-2015, 09:44 AM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"(the passenger side end - and the numbers are read left to right - true?)" yes.

Is the #1 plug oil fouling? I think I'd do a compression test on that engine.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:03 AM
Catfish_John
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, Daves69.

I did replace that one particular spark plug with a platinum-grade plug and indeed the engine started flawlessly and the "Check Engine" light stayed off. It appears that Carlos' advice was exactly correct. (TY, Carlos.)

There is considerable evidence of long-term oil leakage in the tube leading to the spark plug, as well as burned oil residue on the old spark plug's threads. The car's gas consumption is running around 28 mpg, sometimes more, and the engine's operation is generally smooth and powerful. I have replaced the other 3 spark plugs as well, as they were all rather worn looking Champions, with new matching platinum-grade spark plugs. The wiring is genuine MOPAR and the ink looks too fresh to be the original wires - more like recently (in the past 2 years) replaced - in my opinion.

But I agree with you and I would like to test the compression on
all 4 cylinders -- as soon as I can get to my compression gauge
!
(It is buried in a garage 160 miles away right now.)

Thanks for your help!
CFJ

Quick Reply: Cylinder #1 Misfire Scanner Code - car is hard to start in cold weather