2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Shaking while driving

Old 02-24-2015, 10:35 PM
2002VertGT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaking while driving

Hello all, i know the internet is not always the best place to go but I do not like mechanics as I have seen them lie to get more sales and such. Also seen mechanics who really dont know what the hell they are doing.

My wifes 05 SXT is shaking/vibrating around 45mph mostly when you let off the accelerator and is coasting. Me and my buddy took it for a drive and climbed out the windows and looked at the wheels while it was doing it and they do not appear to be shaking. I just replaced the front struts, both outer tie rods are new/newer and the pass side inner is newer.

Another thing that it is doing is if you drive down the road and swerve (sometimes happens when turning) there is a pop on the drivers side. I thought i might be the cv axle so i took it to a local empty parking lot and drove slow circles and it never did it. It pretty much only does it when you swerve side to side (my kids love it when I do that).

If anyone has any ideas/ways I can figure it out before taking it to a mechanic to figure it out that would be great. I am pretty handy when it comes to working on cars, I just dont always know what the issue is to fix it.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:21 PM
richards83
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious; have you had a front end alignment since you replaced the struts? As for the popping sound....one of the most common problems with Neons is bad control arm bushings and they will make all kinds of popping sounds when they go bad. If you look under the car, near the driver side floor board, you'll see the rear control arm bushing. It should be centered in the opening in the sub-frame. When they go bad they usually drop down and cause metal to metal contact, thus unusual noises. If that's the problem, you can stick a pry bar in there and pry it back up, but eventually it will drop back down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shaking while driving