2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2003 Dodge Neon

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 09:26 AM
kbneon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dodge Neon

Hello all.

The other day I went over a decent size puddle of water with my 2003 dodge neon and almost a block down the road the car shut off on me. Starting it back up, it did not work. The car will crank but it wont start up, I have checked if it was a full problem by spraying starter fluid in the TB, but no luck. Then I changed the spark plugs + spark plug wires + air filter, but no luck. Then I changed the battery, but no luck...I hope the splash of water (it wasn't a big puddle of water) didn't cause my engine to seize. Today, I am going to check on the fuses, perhaps I blew the fuse for the starter or maybe even the fuel pump? My last resort would be to replace the starter but that will be costly...or time consuming...Please any help would be appreciated, I love my neon and I don't want it to be defeated by a small puddle of water. Thank you!

Old 03-19-2015, 10:09 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

You say it is cranking, so it is not the starter. It's obviously water related. Check all connections, fuses, etc.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:15 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If your engine seized, it would be turning over. Was the air filter wet (if it wasn't, water shouldn't have gotten into the engine)?

Old 03-19-2015, 04:49 PM
kbneon

Originally Posted by darthroush
If your engine seized, it would be turning over. Was the air filter wet (if it wasn't, water shouldn't have gotten into the engine)?
The air filter was not wet when I replaced it, dirty but not wet.

Update:

I replaced the starter relay, fuel pump relay, starter fuse, and the ignition fuse but the same problem persists. Cranks but wont start.

I have also checked the fuel pressure and it is fine, therefore I can rule out any problems with the fuel pump/injection...

What else could it be that I have not done? Thank you for all your help thus far.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:08 AM
whynot162

I would check the spark. If you have an issue related to a sensor etc. then the computer would not generate the signal for spark. If you have fuel pressure, water on the outside would not change compression, that leaves spark.
Then at a minimum you know wht it is not starting.

I would also check the wires and plug at the crank sensor, as it is the lowest one on the car.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:37 AM
kbneon

Originally Posted by whynot162
I would check the spark. If you have an issue related to a sensor etc. then the computer would not generate the signal for spark. If you have fuel pressure, water on the outside would not change compression, that leaves spark.
Then at a minimum you know wht it is not starting.

I would also check the wires and plug at the crank sensor, as it is the lowest one on the car.
That's the one thing that I dreaded having to do...crank sensor, but I think I have exhausted all other possibilities that this must be it.

Can any member(s) post a pic that would show me where the crank sensor is located on the my neon? Thank you, I am loving the help thus far.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:30 PM
whynot162

On my 03 it is below the starter
forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=359044

Old 03-22-2015, 11:29 AM
MCleveland89

I had the same issue as you. It wouldn't start all of a sudden after I hit a bump. After taking it to multiple mechanics, it turns out it needed a whole new computer. I'm not sure if this is what you have but it worked for me.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:23 AM
kbneon

Originally Posted by MCleveland89
I had the same issue as you. It wouldn't start all of a sudden after I hit a bump. After taking it to multiple mechanics, it turns out it needed a whole new computer. I'm not sure if this is what you have but it worked for me.

Yes I changed out the crank sensor and the coil pad and still the same problem, the only other ting it could be is the PCU (computer) I'm gonna buy one from the junkyard tomorrow and hope it works after I install it. Do you know how exactly to remove and install it? Any help from any member would be great as this would be my first time changing out a PCU on a car... Thank you all for your help thus far!

Old 06-09-2015, 09:25 AM
MCleveland89

Originally Posted by kbneon
Yes I changed out the crank sensor and the coil pad and still the same problem, the only other ting it could be is the PCU (computer) I'm gonna buy one from the junkyard tomorrow and hope it works after I install it. Do you know how exactly to remove and install it? Any help from any member would be great as this would be my first time changing out a PCU on a car... Thank you all for your help thus far!
No I had a mechanic do it. There was a short on one of the wires so that had to be changed too.

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Neon