2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 12:00 PM
G SKI
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head gasket?

Idling 10min nearly overheated, put heat on full temp came down to norm. No leaks bottle is full changed rad cap noticed antifreeze looks rusty. Also seems hoses are pressurized when engine cools down. No gurgling in bottle after driving.? What do you think?

Old 03-27-2015, 12:31 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

How many miles? Backflush the system, change the thermostat.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:27 PM
Herman Geronimo Miranda

thermostat waterpump radiator i just changed all three cause my car was doing the same thing 150xxx miles

Old 03-30-2015, 04:32 PM
G SKI
Rookie

While running car temp gauge moves up a little when idling in traffic now and then.this time I checked bottle its looks empty while running. Where could it have gone ? No white smoke oil isn't overfull and no obvious leaks. Huh?

Old 03-31-2015, 12:57 PM
G SKI
Rookie

Ok so I stopped at oreilys on way to work to get a thermostat but decided not to yet, temp was fine saw thermostat open watching gauge, but bottle was empty. 2am when going home before starting bottle is full, radiator is full. I noticed the temp sensor on back of block is a little wet not much though. Could it be going bad? Checked coolant color with coolant % checker, needle tops out and and so far the color is pinkish. Rad is full. So coolant is moving back and forth. Now if bottle is full when cold and rad is full under cap, should I add coolant into bottle when engine is hot? That should never be dry, right? And how to test temp sensor on car and how to undue the conn for it? Thanks for the replys

Old 03-31-2015, 01:23 PM
G SKI
Rookie

I wonder if my rad is going bad between the trans and coolant? How to check that?

Old 03-31-2015, 04:39 PM
G SKI
Rookie

Well I don't know now.. Just got to work thermostat opened as usual temp was fine on hay parked and needle rose above half mark. Went out and checked bottle this time it's full.. As it was when I left home and so was the rad. ??????? Don't know. Bad rad or water pump how to check flow I get heat on demand ...?????

Old 04-01-2015, 12:46 PM
G SKI
Rookie

so this morning I checked bottle it is full w/ engine cold. That would mean a leak somewhere so no vacuum can be created to draw back coolant. No blockage in overflow hose. Coolant color is still pink. Oil is still full and dark cause i need to change it. So it seems like vac one day not the next, i'll have to keep my eye on that. If it is a head gasket leak so far no tell tale signs. If i run engine w/ rad cap off to check flow once the t-stat opens, will coolant flow out of opening w/ funnel in place? And if you can see a flow that mean rad is probably working to an extent. How to tell if its an OEM rad? Fun Fun Fun Thanks for the info

Old 04-10-2015, 12:14 PM
G SKI
Rookie

Well I've been driving to work all week, coolant doesnt enter or leave overflow bottle the level stays the same. Still no bubbles and no change of color of oil or coolant and plenty of heat. Car runs well but warm while sitting in idle traffic and sometimes on highway.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:17 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When my car overheated and the coolant wouldn't leave the overflow bottle, after taking a lot of stuff apart, all it needed was a new radiator cap. Go figure.

Quick Reply: head gasket?