2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Dashboard Paint ?????

Old 04-17-2015, 10:29 AM
gphelps
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashboard Paint ?????

Hi everyone...

My 2001 LX dash has a sort of rubbery coating/paint on it from the factory.
There are some worn areas where that finish has come off.

Can I get that paint/finish somewhere to touch it up? I've looked around a bit online but haven't had any luck.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:43 PM
Darkside96

Originally Posted by gphelps
Hi everyone...

My 2001 LX dash has a sort of rubbery coating/paint on it from the factory.
There are some worn areas where that finish has come off.

Can I get that paint/finish somewhere to touch it up? I've looked around a bit online but haven't had any luck.
I don't think there is any touch up for it. The most I could say to do is try out plasti-dip because if it does not look good you can peel it off of any surface (according to plasti-dip).

Other then that buy a dash cover.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:05 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You'd have to do the whole board at once after prepping, but this is the best matching paint I know of (the one I used for my Mustang, you couldn't tell a difference in color between what I painted and the factory pieces).
http://www.semproducts.com/refinish-...classic-coattm

Old 04-17-2015, 04:59 PM
Darkside96

Originally Posted by darthroush
You'd have to do the whole board at once after prepping, but this is the best matching paint I know of (the one I used for my Mustang, you couldn't tell a difference in color between what I painted and the factory pieces).
http://www.semproducts.com/refinish-...classic-coattm
OEM/Color match will never match unless the vehicle is fairly new because as the sun takes its toll on it the original materials/paint start to slowly fade.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:51 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends how well the interior is/was taken care of. IMO, it'd likely look better than Plasti-dip or a dash mat.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:08 PM
earlyre
Professional

little late to the game here, but i don't check in here very often since i sold my Neon. i had a similar issue with mine( plus a big crack through the defroster opening) , and for the short term, bought a dash mat. (look didn't bother me, and even though it was black, the car stayed cooler inside than without.)

anyway, before i sold it, (to a friends mom) I hit up my nearest Pick-n-Pull, and grabbed another upper dash. every thing fit like it should, colors match (close enough anyway) and at that yard, it only cost me a little over $20. (your local prices may vary)
on that Trip, i got the Upper Dash panel, center console, air filter box, and both cowl panels,(mixed and matched from 2-3 different cars) for about $70. later went to a different one, and got the passenger side seatbelt latch (mine was rattling horribly) for around $8.

IIRC, there are only 4 screws (one on either end of the defroster, and one on either end of the dash, hidden when you close the door) , and a bunch of clips holding the upper dash in place.
shouldn't take any longer than 20 min to change it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dashboard Paint ?????