2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Hi Pitched Chattering when in reverse at idle

Old 05-24-2015, 06:09 PM
PeteInCT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi Pitched Chattering when in reverse at idle

Hi. After recently doing motor mounts on my '03 Neon (and aligning motor to the 119 mm distance as per Chrysler specs) my motor is much better...however, I"m getting a high pitch chatter/squeal from the PS/AC belt when the car is in reverse at idle (brake applied, not moving.)

I can push against the upper motor mount (slightly moving the idler tension pulley bracket and Power steering pump with the same motion) and the noise stops.

I've been having a loud squeal (15 seconds, then it stops) whenever the car starts for quite a while (belt squeal.)

Could these be related? I'm assuming the 15 second squeal at cold start might be the Alternator belt, but could it just be the PS/AC serpentine belt causing both? I'm guessing I should just change both belts...hoping I don't have to change that idle tension pulley out, as I know it's a pain to do.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Old 05-28-2015, 02:00 PM
PeteInCT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed my error....

Yeah, I'm that guy. Upper motor mount was in upside down....the rubber rectangle that should fit into the notch in the engine mount frame (power steering pump tower) was facing the wrong side. There was metal-on-metal since the rubber that should have provided vibration resistance was facing the wrong way....live and learn.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hi Pitched Chattering when in reverse at idle