2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Air System (HVAC/AC) randomly blows less air

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 07:52 PM
RyanGrant
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air System (HVAC/AC) randomly blows less air

I have a problem with my 2003 dodge neon sx 2.0 which randomly does the following:
- No AC on, just regular cold or hot air, randomly causes vents to not blow out a lot of air sometimes. If I turn the car off and on again it sometimes goes back to normal. Other times I have to wait a few minutes then it's fine again to turn the car on.

This doesn't happen all the time but happens frequently enough to be annoying. I'll be driving and it randomly stops blowing air hard. I hear a 'whine' noise as if the air flow is restricted somewhere. If I turn the recirculation switch to on, it does not help. I try turning all the ***** from cold to hot, ac on/off, recirclulation on/off and it wont fix it until I usually stop the car.

I've read in this thread:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...con-issue.html

that this particular person had issues during using the AC.

This happens to me while using the heat, regular air, or AC. All three. So I'm trying to not jump ahead and start doing things that people suggested in that thread seeing as my issue is slightly different.

Anyone have any tips? I believe the blower motor is OK from everything I seem to read, it also seems the resistor is probably fine I'm guessing seeing as the blower can blow lots of air usually, just randomly this lack of airflow happens and i hear a 'whine' as if the air is restricted by something.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:49 PM
richards83
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd start by taking a look behind the HVAC control panel. You might find your problem right there. Pull it out enough so that you can see behind it. There is a vacuum manifold on the backside that can wiggle loose and cause a vacuum leak. There are also 2 control cables that can get out of adjustment and cause problems with the operation of the doors on the HVAC housing. If you look at the cables, you should see where they are clamped. Sometimes the cable will slide through that clamp and you can tell by the wear marks on the cable. If it looks like it has moved, just loosen the screw move the cable and tighten the screw back down. Good luck.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:26 PM
RyanGrant
Amateur

Originally Posted by richards83
I'd start by taking a look behind the HVAC control panel. You might find your problem right there. Pull it out enough so that you can see behind it. There is a vacuum manifold on the backside that can wiggle loose and cause a vacuum leak. There are also 2 control cables that can get out of adjustment and cause problems with the operation of the doors on the HVAC housing. If you look at the cables, you should see where they are clamped. Sometimes the cable will slide through that clamp and you can tell by the wear marks on the cable. If it looks like it has moved, just loosen the screw move the cable and tighten the screw back down. Good luck.
Thanks I'll give this a check!

Old 08-06-2015, 05:36 PM
RyanGrant
Amateur

I pulled the blower out (which is a pain in the *** to get the far corner bolt might I add, also its 8mm bolt-head screws) the blower shaft and the blower were quite clean (aside from a bit of dirt residue of course). I tried reaching my hand in every which direction and couldn't find anything loose, couldn't even find any re-circulation door (not sure where it is up there?) It hasn't occurred for a few days but I haven't used the car that much, usually only happens after 15-30 mins of driving.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:21 AM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

sometimes when it blows less air the blower motor itself has dry bushings/bearings. you can pull it apart an soak the bushings with 3 in 1 oil over night. Mine never had issues but one day I had the dash out so I cleaned the fan cage & oiled the bushings that made a huge difference. I don't know why dodge won't use a cheap skateboard bearing for their fans they are $0.50 from china & india an last forever

Old 09-06-2015, 04:01 PM
boatmoter
Amateur

check for plastic bags that could have gotten sucked up under the dash and is blocking the suction side of the fan duct

Old 02-08-2016, 12:48 AM
Hollywood1962
Default 2001 Dakota build

I have a 2001 Dakota, have over $25 in the truck, replaced the 4.7 3 years ago with a remanufactured engine, it blew again, want to put a 5.7 hemi into her, I need advice as to what transmissions harnesses etc, please contact me for the build.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:00 AM
Pappy4698

If you still have the problem, as I had, it was the resistor located near the blower motor. Replaced it and the system worked fine.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:55 PM
RyanGrant
Amateur

I still have the problem. I noticed it really only occurs in the warmer months of the year. Especially if I leave the car out in the sun. I also have an issue where the vent won't change direction. Example would be I turn on the air system and want to adjust the direction of air flow, pointing to legs, or body etc when I go to change it it doesn't turn to the desired selection. I noticed if I turn off the air system then adjust the direction then turn on the air system again, it blows in the desired direction. This only happens when I've left the car in the sun for the day while I'm at work.

not sure if it's so much as a blower issue or rather an issue with the vents?

Old 02-22-2018, 01:50 PM
jay_2208

im trying to get the lockout solenoid male connector for my Plymouth neon an cant find them any place ive tried rock auto auto zone advance even the web an cant find anything that resembles the one i need an its really frustrating some one cut the wiring on mine with one of the previous owner an i have continuity resist ins an power from the main wiring harness but not after the tcc connector plugs in i have nothing an im probably gonna have to go to a junk yard any solution helps

Quick Reply: Air System (HVAC/AC) randomly blows less air