2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

How much air?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 09:00 AM
gphelps
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much air?????

Hi.....
I'm having a problem with the a/c system. It's nice and cold while driving, but heats up and blows warm when idling.

I have a 12" Hayden Rapid-Cool fan mounted directly on the condenser. There is no fan shroud. The fan works great for the radiator. I have no complaints, but I suspect it's not enough for the a/c system.

I added another 8" fan that I had lying around and that didn't really help.

The 12" moves approximately 800 CFM, not sure about the 8".

Does anyone know how many CFM the factory fan moves???

Or................does anyone have any different ideas to help solve my problem?

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks

p.s. it's a 2001 Neon LS that originally had a single fan.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:25 AM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

need to have freon psi checked its probably 1-2 cans low, was it parked a long time? sometimes it can leak out a lil when parked for weeks on end. that 2nd fan will help but its not needed unless your in AZ where its 115+ outside driving in it =)

Old 08-02-2015, 10:40 PM
Florida Ram Man

I was having a similar issue last week. Vent temp would climb about 10 degrees when going from driving to idling. I cleaned all the little rocks out of the condenser coil, straightened out the fins, then cleaned it with foaming coil cleaner and a nylon brush. It now it maintains temp at idle. I didn't expect it to make that much difference--especially since the coil didn't really look dirty--but it did!

Old 08-19-2015, 09:57 AM
gphelps

Originally Posted by TejasMtnBiker
need to have freon psi checked its probably 1-2 cans low, was it parked a long time? sometimes it can leak out a lil when parked for weeks on end. that 2nd fan will help but its not needed unless your in AZ where its 115+ outside driving in it =)

Thanks for responding......No, this neon sees daily use and the system is fully charged. I agree with you that the second fan shouldn't be needed under normal circumstances, but in my case I only have the 12" fan and no shroud. The shroud causes the fan to pull air through the entire area of the radiator/condenser rather than just from the area of the fan.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:02 AM
gphelps

Originally Posted by Florida Ram Man
I was having a similar issue last week. Vent temp would climb about 10 degrees when going from driving to idling. I cleaned all the little rocks out of the condenser coil, straightened out the fins, then cleaned it with foaming coil cleaner and a nylon brush. It now it maintains temp at idle. I didn't expect it to make that much difference--especially since the coil didn't really look dirty--but it did!
Hi....thanks for responding.......The radiator and condenser have recently been replaced and are very clean. Because of that and some other reasons I'm focused on air flow from the fan. Without the shroud and only the 12" fan I think the condenser isn't getting enough air flow.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:50 PM
boatmoter
Amateur

start it a turn the air on high and raise the hood, run a water hose over the radiator & condenser to cool it and have someone check the vent to see if it got a lot colder, it should be blowing ice cubes.. neon a/c units work great, if so, then you have a fan problem, if it don't have mush difference than you may have not enough or too much freon in it.. or too much oil in the a/c unit or a sticking expansion block could be a lot of things, have to start with the basics first, it could have air in the system too