2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

03 Neon- Help me please

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 11:53 AM
nlocmg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Neon- Help me please

I just bought my 03 neon literally 4 days ago...and I have 2 major issues: first, once the car is warm- when I stop at a light or stop sign- my oil light comes on and dings- and will do so repeatedly until I accelerate- then it stops. My oil is not low..
Second: weirdly enough- right about the time the oil light is doing its thing, when I accelerate- my transmission jerks going from I think it's 1 gear to 2 gear. And I mean a substantial jerk....
Am I in big trouble?
Are these two things related?
Can it be fixed affordably?
Or should I put a for sale sign in the window?
I appreciate any and all advice- I love this little car....and would like to keep it, but can't afford to be without my way to work.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:17 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Created your own thread and moved to the correct section. Welcome to the forum.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:44 PM
richards83
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your two issues are probably not related. The oil pressure light is a very common problem with Neon's and is usually fixed by replacing the oil pressure switch, which costs around $15 or so. It's possible that you actually have low oil pressure, but more likely that it's just the switch.
The transmission problem could be a little more complicated. Neon's aren't the most refined cars ever built, so a "substantial jerk" to you could be just a Neon being a Neon. I've owned a Neon since it was new and always thought the shifting was kind of jerky. A good place to start would probably be checking the condition of the fluid. Also, get a code scanner and see if any codes are stored. I'm assuming that your check engine light is not on. Even if it's not, that doesn't mean there are no diagnostic codes stored.

Quick Reply: 03 Neon- Help me please