2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2001 Plymouth Neon

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 05:05 PM
fair67
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok sorry for the delay I have been working too much. I just went out and put a cd in and the rear speakers did not work at first. So I thought why not and I cranked up the volume and then the Right Rear speaker came on loud. I turned it down and the front and RRear works. The only one not working now is the Left rear. I took a jumper wire from the RR speaker and put it to the LR speaker and the Left Rear did not work. So I took off the plugs disconnecting both rear speakers I then ran a jumper wire from the left rear wire to the Right rear speaker and it worked but was not loud at all. So in short I have both front speakers still working and the Right Rear only working with both CD and Radio. My Left Rear does not work.
Hope I didnt confuse anyone.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:08 PM
fair67
Rookie

Originally Posted by fair67
Ok sorry for the delay I have been working too much. I just went out and put a cd in and the rear speakers did not work at first. So I thought why not and I cranked up the volume and then the Right Rear speaker came on loud. I turned it down and the front and RRear works. The only one not working now is the Left rear. I took a jumper wire from the RR speaker and put it to the LR speaker and the Left Rear did not work. So I took off the plugs disconnecting both rear speakers I then ran a jumper wire from the left rear wire to the Right rear speaker and it worked but was not loud at all. So in short I have both front speakers still working and the Right Rear only working with both CD and Radio. My Left Rear does not work.
Hope I didnt confuse anyone.
Update
I just went to drop off my daughter and there were no rear speakers at all did not work on radio cd or cassette.
Im Lost

Old 09-08-2016, 08:52 AM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok that's good feedback, so lets think about this some more.
Sounds like the right channel & speaker might be ok, but the left is a ?. Seeing as how the right side once came on Loud, again, make sure the left/right Balance control is in the center position. Exercise it several times to wipe it's internal connections.
If no joy, turn the radio Off, disconnect the left speaker & using your multi-meter on the ohms X1, or X10 setting, measure resistance across the left speaker coil to see if it's open circuit.
If ok, as has been suggested & using the link I posted, check wiring & electrical connectors for scuffed insulation, or corroded electrical connector contacts.
When you find a connector, disconnect it for inspection & re-plug it in to wipe its connections.
Wiggle it's wires going into the connector, to see if you have a bad wire crimp to its contacts
With the low voltage on this circuit, it doesn't take much circuit resistance to cause mischief.

If any cleaning, work, repairs, or spills have recently happened around the dash, or wiring run to the left speaker, have a look in those areas first.
If no joy there, turn off & pull the radio out of the dash & disconnect, inspect & reconnect the speakers at the radio, in case there is some corrosion in that electrical connector, or pinched wiring damage. Exercise the balance & fader & volume controls & perform a thump/wiggle test while the radio is out & turned on, to see if one of those actions will wake something up.
More thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:05 PM
fair67
Rookie

Ok here is what happened the right rear started working again so I took the wire from the left rear speaker and jumped it to the right speaker. The right speaker worked through the left wire. I then put the right rear wire to the left rear speaker and it did not work.
I had to remove the rear seat and such to get the back deck. I found a big problem my spare tire had water in it. Also there was water in the back seat where your feet go. I am guessing it is a bad tail light seal but does water go all the way to the back seat pan too. It has rained really bad here the last 2 days. If it isnt one thing it is another.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:14 PM
paw paw
Captain

A couple of years ago we had the wet rear floor pan & spare tire well full of water problem. After intensive searches, I finally found the passenger side rear door body rubber seal "rubber button" that fastens/buttons the rubber body door seal to the provided body hole, had pulled out & was letting water go in through that hole. It's at the top of the seal, just a little ahead of the center of the door width. It's about 1/8" diameter as I remember. Roll the rubber seal toward you along the top until you find where it's tang/button supposed to be pressed in. There is a real close fit of the rubber seal to a notch in the body work that my door seal barely covers & if the seal button is loose/out of it's hole the door seal will sorta sag & uncover this notch & mine will leak there also but only if we have heavy protracted periods of rain & the wife has parked with the front end down hill. Anyway, reattaching the passenger side rear body door seal as it was intended to be, has stopped the wet rear floor pan & wet spare tire well problem. How in the world it was getting to the spare tire well I never figured out, just that it stopped getting water in it after I fixed the passenger side body door seal at the top.
Some thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:39 AM
fair67
Rookie

I poured water down the tail light and it leaked very badly into the car. I removed all the interior from trunk to back seat. I found about 1 in of water in the rear floor pan and the trunk. I got new seals for tail lights replaced them and the leak has stopped. I also figured while it was all appart I would replace the rear speakers and they both work now. The left never worked but all do for now. I will put all back together and see how it goes.
Thanks for all the help

Name:  14348988_10154558291863466_17676527_n_zps6mbebtzf.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  47.8 KB

Old 09-13-2016, 09:47 AM
paw paw
Captain

Ok, good find, fix, feedback & to hear you seem to have a good grip on the root cause of your speaker woes being caused by the water leak & all now seems well.
Your woes sound like mine, they usually end up being Way more involved than they first appear. Way to hang in there & see your repair through to a successful ending.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:38 PM
fair67
Rookie

It poured rain for a couple days and I looked in my trunk and no water. The rear speakers even still work. My wife drove it last night and stated the headlights dont work well. I have ordered new headlights to replace them they are pretty bad.
Thanks

Quick Reply: 2001 Plymouth Neon