2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Need Help Please

Old 02-02-2017, 02:57 PM
TacoBuster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonocativo
if starter, sounds like a low battery or possibkly even a bad "new" starter
the starter clicks. It actually had same problem with old starter. Battery date is 11/16 so not old at all. I am going to try and jump it again see if it does anything.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:28 PM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok, good feedback so it's the starter solenoid that's clicking & is trying to pull in to engage the Bendix to the flywheel & make the high amp contacts to run the starter motor. SO, if the replacement starter isn't running, as has been said & asked, was the replacement starter bench tested Before you left the store with it, so you knew it was good? I've seen plenty of faulty new/rebuilt, reman parts right out of the box, so I have all of my electrical parts bench tested before leaving the store with them.

All that said, since you say the starter solenoid is "clicking", it sounds like it May be working, or the solenoid may not be Fully pulling in to make motor contact so the starter will run, IF you have a bad/high resistance wire run, or electrical connection at the starter end, or faulty/corroded/high resistance power relay socket contacts, or internal contact points feeding the starter solenoid.

SO, you need to perform a under load voltage drop test at the starter input solenoid contact connector, to determine if you have voltage drop to the starter solenoid that's preventing it from Fully pulling in. Or if you have a faulty B+ battery cable, or high resistance connection between the starter & battery that's causing under load voltage drop to the starter motor.

We only have 12 volts to work with, so it doesn't take much resistance in the electrical connections to cause mischief. All need to be clean, bright & tight.
So break out your multi-meter on the 20 volt DC range & perform some voltage drop testing & let us know what you find.

Last edited by paw paw; 02-02-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:51 PM
TacoBuster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paw paw
Ok, good feedback so it's the starter solenoid that's clicking & is trying to pull in to engage the Bendix to the flywheel & make the high amp contacts to run the starter motor. SO, if the replacement starter isn't running, as has been said & asked, was the replacement starter bench tested Before you left the store with it, so you knew it was good? I've seen plenty of faulty new/rebuilt, reman parts right out of the box, so I have all of my electrical parts bench tested before leaving the store with them.

All that said, since you say the starter solenoid is "clicking", it sounds like it May be working, or the solenoid may not be Fully pulling in to make motor contact so the starter will run, IF you have a bad/high resistance wire run, or electrical connection at the starter end, or faulty/corroded/high resistance power relay socket contacts, or internal contact points feeding the starter solenoid.

SO, you need to perform a under load voltage drop test at the starter input solenoid contact connector, to determine if you have voltage drop to the starter solenoid that's preventing it from Fully pulling in. Or if you have a faulty B+ battery cable, or high resistance connection between the starter & battery that's causing under load voltage drop to the starter motor.

We only have 12 volts to work with, so it doesn't take much resistance in the electrical connections to cause mischief. All need to be clean, bright & tight.
So break out your multi-meter on the 20 volt DC range & perform some voltage drop testing & let us know what you find.
I stumbled upon a thread saying that the pcm could also be a problem? It could malfunction and cause this problem? I wouldnt get that tho since everything works how it should.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:14 PM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Again, did you have the replacement starter bench tested Before leaving the store with it?
Have you performed the suggested voltage drop testing on the starter solenoid electrical connection & the battery B+ connection to the starter when your helper tries to crank the engine in the start position?
Have you tried thumping the starter when trying to start it?

Search this Thread