2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Need Help Please

Old 01-25-2017, 08:54 PM
TacoBuster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Please

I have a 2001 Neon SE. Car started fine no problems then started having transmission problems. Its an automatic. I pulled out the tranny and and put the other one on. Reconected everything, and now it doesnt start. It just clicks.

All lights on dash, headlights, radio, dome, everything works fine. Connected the scanner, no codes. Checked all fuses, all good. Tought might be starter, installed new. Same problem. Checked engine harness wires and they good. Battery is good. Fuel pump work. I have spark. New spark plugs, ignition wires and coil pack. I put car in neutral same thing. Tried jumping the car, same problem. Just clicks wont crank over. Cranked car manually rotates fine.

Running out of ideas. Can someone give me some tips. Getting really frustrated with it.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:07 PM
Sonocativo
Professional

Originally Posted by TacoBuster
I have a 2001 Neon SE. Car started fine no problems then started having transmission problems. Its an automatic. I pulled out the tranny and and put the other one on. Reconected everything, and now it doesnt start. It just clicks.

All lights on dash, headlights, radio, dome, everything works fine. Connected the scanner, no codes. Checked all fuses, all good. Tought might be starter, installed new. Same problem. Checked engine harness wires and they good. Battery is good. Fuel pump work. I have spark. New spark plugs, ignition wires and coil pack. I put car in neutral same thing. Tried jumping the car, same problem. Just clicks wont crank over. Cranked car manually rotates fine.

Running out of ideas. Can someone give me some tips. Getting really frustrated with it.
How do you have spark if it wont crank?

Old 01-26-2017, 12:09 AM
TacoBuster

Originally Posted by Sonocativo
How do you have spark if it wont crank?
Sorry, Had spark before tranny swap.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:16 AM
Sonocativo
Professional

Check your crank and cam sensor connections, have you ran a code reader on it?

Old 01-26-2017, 02:43 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you miss an engine ground? I missed one after R&Ring my transmission and had the same problem.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:09 PM
TacoBuster

Originally Posted by darthroush
Did you miss an engine ground? I missed one after R&Ring my transmission and had the same problem.
I think im sure i got all grounds. The one under the battery tray, the other connected to starter bolt and the one next to the air filter box.

Originally Posted by Sonocativo
Check your crank and cam sensor connections, have you ran a code reader on it?
I checked them and they are connected. Unplugged and checked connectors and they look good. I did scan it but no codes.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:31 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had to look up some old posts; been some time since I've had a Neon. You've got a big one going from the negative battery post to the starter bolt, which then splits at the starter bolt and also bolts to the battery tray. Then there's one that goes from the negative battery post to the frame under the air box. Those are the three on the driver's side. On the passenger side, you have engine block to frame and engine mount to frame, both attach to the frame by the strut/windshield washer fluid line. I forgot to tighten one of those last two on the passenger side. At least, when I removed the transmission, those had to be undone to allow the engine to drop enough with the transmission.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:04 PM
TacoBuster

Originally Posted by darthroush
I had to look up some old posts; been some time since I've had a Neon. You've got a big one going from the negative battery post to the starter bolt, which then splits at the starter bolt and also bolts to the battery tray. Then there's one that goes from the negative battery post to the frame under the air box. Those are the three on the driver's side. On the passenger side, you have engine block to frame and engine mount to frame, both attach to the frame by the strut/windshield washer fluid line. I forgot to tighten one of those last two on the passenger side. At least, when I removed the transmission, those had to be undone to allow the engine to drop enough with the transmission.
I checked for thos two ground wires on trut tower and they are connected as well. Today I installed new neutral safety switch from tranny, new starter and new battery but same issue. i disconnected each connection from wire harness to check if pins wer ok or dirty but they are all ok and making contact. ive never had an issue like this. checked all fuses again and they are fine.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:02 PM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Is the neutral/start switch electrical connector plugged in? It's the one low down drivers side front corner of the tranny case. Stuffed in with all the computer wiring just in front.
Or maybe the N/S switch is faulty or sticking, so give it a thump.
More thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

EDIT: Can you tell us what "clicks", when you go to "start" to crank the engine?

Last edited by paw paw; 01-27-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:10 PM
Sonocativo
Professional

Did you check fuses? Starter fuse, main fuses?

Search this Thread