2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 10:08 AM
brentb31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough idle

Car is 2003 Neon SXT
While driving to work this AM and turning left I heard a "pop" from under the hood. Coming from RH side. CEL started flashing. Car is slow to accelerate almost seems bogged down. I have to put in neutral when at light.

I did the key dance and got:
P0440
P0340
P0344

The sound under the hood is a repetitive thump, thump, thump sound until speed reaches above 10 or so MPH, then the sound is gone, only to start up again after starting acceleration.

Any guidance is appreciated, I am going to check under the hood at lunch to see if anything looks out of whack. I was just hoping to get some ideas before I took off.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Checked at lunch and number 2 plug wire is popped out.

Last edited by brentb31; 02-02-2017 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Forgot to include year
Old 02-02-2017, 11:37 AM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Blinking CEL = cylinder misfire, not good for the cat converter having to process all the unburned fuel, as that'll make em overheat & melt down inside, increasing exhaust back pressure & causing wimpy engine power & over heating, all a vicious circle.

Good find & feedback on finding the #2 plug wire loose.
Interesting that no #2cyl misfire code showed up. Did that fix the blinking CEL?.

P0340 = Cam sensor Circuit malfunction.
P0344 = Cam sensor Circuit intermittent.
P0440 = Evap emissions Control system malfunction.

SO, seems you have more than one woe. Check the cam sensor wiring & electrical connector & it's pins/socket connection to the cam sensor, looking for damaged wiring, a loose connector, bent pins, spread sockets, or corrosion on the contacts, or a sensor leaking oil out a cracked insulator.

Not sure what to suggest looking for on the evap emissions control code, maybe the purge valve, or even a faulty/loose gas cap, or loose, damaged, dry rotted vapor system hose.

Some thought for consideration, let us know how the trouble shoot goes.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:37 PM
brentb31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug was gone

Thanks for the info on where to check to fix other issues. Plug blew all the way out. I did install new plug after work. Will do complete change of rest of wires and plugs this weekend.

CEL is still on, but not flashing. Will start working on points to check when I change plugs and wires.

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:04 PM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok good feedback on the spark plug having blown completely out.

Seeing as how you plan to replace the plugs & wires, note that we have a "waste spark" ignition, which works it's components Twice as hard as it fires it's plugs on Every rotation of the crankshaft, once on the power stroke, then again on the exhaust stroke (waste spark). SO the coil pack, plug wires & spark plugs need to be designed to hold up under this Double work load.
Thus consider using OEM plug wires, or brand name ones that say in writing that they meet, or exceed mfgr specs & are designed to work on our waste spark system.
Also the fine wire iridium enhanced design spark plugs of the specified heat range are recommended.

You might find the additional info here about spark plugs informative. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ml#post3309305

More thoughts for consideration, let us know how it goes.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:51 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Factory issue, and recommended replacement, plugs are standard copper. IMO, save the money and buy good quality copper plugs like NGK. These engines are hit or miss and some end up running worse using anything besides copper. Mine did.