2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Loud buzzing noise-driver's side dash area

Old 02-14-2017, 11:16 PM
blakemo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud buzzing noise-driver's side dash area

Hello folk's, first time poster here! Last May I purchased a 2004 SX2.0 for my newly licensed daughter. It's been a fantastic car and she loves it!! Recently she's had issues with an intermittent buzzing noise coming from what she describes as the drivers side dash area. I have not been able to replicate the noise myself, so I was quite shocked when my daughter sent me a video/recording of the noise occurring while she was driving. It was a loud(think air compressor building pressure) buzzing noise that lasted approx a minute before subsiding. It doesnt appear she did anything that would cause the noise...hadnt turned on the heater fan motor, air conditioning etc. I'm wondering if any of you fine folk's might have an idea of what we're up against here...any ideas greatly appreciated...please and thank you!

Old 02-15-2017, 06:50 AM
Ramx2
Amateur

sounds like it may be a electric fan kicking on but kinda need to see the vid so we can hear it.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:25 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

sometimes a bad motor mount can make the dash vibrate to where it makes it seem like a buzzing sound from the vibrations

Old 02-15-2017, 09:20 PM
blakemo

file:///C:/Users/Blake/Downloads/video-1487124066%20(2).mp4
file:///C:/Users/Blake/Downloads/video-1487124081.mp4

Sorry, I cant figure out how to link these vids...please copy/paste into address bar for videos of the sound that I was asking bout...Thanks guys!

Last edited by blakemo; 02-15-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:25 PM
blakemo

Thanks for the reply Ramx2...Ive posted an url.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:27 PM
blakemo

Thanks for the reply Tejas...the noise is def mechanical in nature...not a rattle but instead a loud buzzing. Ive posted a URL

Old 02-25-2017, 04:00 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You might remove the top of the dash and check those little metal clips. They might need to be tweaked a bit so they fit tighter and don't vibrate causing noise. You can also add Velcro to a spot if you can see it's rubbing. Sorry, just guessing blindly. You'll need to upload the videos to a hosting site, like YouTube, and then post the links here. Those "links" aren't links, but the file's location on your hard drive.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:27 PM
blakemo

Thanks for the reply Darthroush,,, Ive managed to recreate the noise. It coming from the fuse box..has something to do with the fog lights (they dont work, previous owner pushed in the lower grill area and then riveted back together). If I attempt to turn the fog lights on without having the headlights on, the buzzing begins(sound lick the clicking you hear when attempting to start a car with a weak battery). Ive checked the fuses...theyre fine. I'll poke around and trace the wiring...maybe a bare wire/short situation is occuring, its a bit of a mess in the fog light location because of the previous accident. thanks again for the response...and for explaining to me about the videos being unavailable(it's tough being a technological caveman in a computer age..lol

Old 02-28-2017, 02:42 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Which fuse box? Sounds like a bad relay, which would be in the PDC in the engine bay.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:15 PM
Chrissoner Syc

Originally Posted by blakemo
Thanks for the reply Darthroush,,, Ive managed to recreate the noise. It coming from the fuse box..has something to do with the fog lights (they dont work, previous owner pushed in the lower grill area and then riveted back together). If I attempt to turn the fog lights on without having the headlights on, the buzzing begins(sound lick the clicking you hear when attempting to start a car with a weak battery). Ive checked the fuses...theyre fine. I'll poke around and trace the wiring...maybe a bare wire/short situation is occuring, its a bit of a mess in the fog light location because of the previous accident. thanks again for the response...and for explaining to me about the videos being unavailable(it's tough being a technological caveman in a computer age..lol
having the same problem. Wondering what you did to get it fixed? As well, wondering if you ever got the fog lamps fixed? Mine both burnt out recently and then this noise happened.

Search this Thread